Suggested values for limits.conf (login.defs)

Suggested values for limits.conf (login.defs)

Post by Lungl » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 02:18:35

Hello,

Could someone please give me an indication of some mildly liberal limits to
set in limits.conf (apparently called login.defs with Debian; I'm using
Red Hat) for users on my system?

It's more of a safeguard to prevent me from accidentally killing the system
by loading a 500mb file in pico than it is a serious restriction I want to
impose.

I would appreciate an explanation of the difference between max data size, max
locked-in-memory size, max resident set size, max stack size and address space
limit.

Regards,

Albert

Post by elle.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 00:32:07

> I would appreciate an explanation of the difference between max data
> size, max locked-in-memory size, max resident set size, max stack
> size and address space limit.

max data size - total memory (including swap) allocated for anything
        besides instructions.
max locked in memory size - maximum amount of non-swapable memory allowed
max resident set size - maximum physical memory allowed
max stack size - maximum size of the stack (used for passing local
        values, return values, and keeping track of the function call chain
        among other things.)
address space limit - the virtual memory limit

I'd be wary of making any drastic changes. Only root can lock pages in
memory currently anyway, so altering the max locked-in value is
probably useless. I seriously doubt many programs lock more than a
single page anyway.

I also wouldn't reduce the stack overmuch. Good programs depend on
being able to store quite a bit of data in it.

That leaves resident size, data size, and address space limits. There
aren't any "good" numbers for those, since they depend on the platform
and workload.

--

1. /etc/limits and /etc/login.defs with agetty

I'm wondering if there are any special procedures to getting /etc/limits
and /etc/login.defs to take effect?
in login.defs i just want to have 'FAIL_DELAY 1' and in limits i want it
to use 'restricted L1K077C0'
None of the changes seem to be taking effect.

--
Any sensual bliss in the world, any heavenly bliss,
isn't worth one sixteenth-sixteenth

2. Error msg: A system call received a parameter that is not valid.

3. Failed logins - login.defs

4. Linux security/firewall FAQ?

5. Need source to login that uses /etc/login.defs

6. select and threads

7. shadow passwd - login.defs

8. Modeline for Gateway2000 Vivitron 17

9. login.defs & xterm -ls

10. /etc/login.defs

11. HZ variable in shadow-mk login.defs

12. login.defs?

13. changing /etc/login.defs does not have a effect on linux RH4.1