Linux Encryption

Post by Jayde » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I was out looking at www.kernel.org.  It said that:

"Due to U.S. Exports Regulations, this archive does not contain
cryptographic software. Cryptographic extensions to the Linux kernel are
archived at kerneli.org. kerneli.org is located in Norway, and has no
connections with the Linux Kernel Archives or Transmeta Corporation."

I'm switching from winblows 98/NT to Linux Mandrake.  Although I know that
M$ security sucks, I still like that it supports crypto (even if the NSA has
a backdoor).  Do I need to download some kind of patch?  Or does the
Mandrake version already have that built in since I bought it here in the
US?

Thanks

Linux Encryption

Post by Bill Unr » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

]I was out looking at www.kernel.org.  It said that:

]"Due to U.S. Exports Regulations, this archive does not contain
]cryptographic software. Cryptographic extensions to the Linux kernel are
]archived at kerneli.org. kerneli.org is located in Norway, and has no
]connections with the Linux Kernel Archives or Transmeta Corporation."

]I'm switching from winblows 98/NT to Linux Mandrake.  Although I know that
]M$ security sucks, I still like that it supports crypto (even if the NSA has
]a backdoor).  Do I need to download some kind of patch?  Or does the
]Mandrake version already have that built in since I bought it here in the
]US?

MS has an API defined which allows others to impliment crypto. MS itself
does not support crypto. If someone else whats to use the MS crypto API
they have to send it to MS and get MS to sign that crypto DLL or the OS
will not install it and use it.
There are a large number of crypto products for Linux. They do not use
any special API. What was it you wanted to do?

Linux Encryption

Post by Jayde » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Nothing special, just encrypt email and files.  I've got PGP for that.  But
when I went to get the latest and greatest Kernel I found out about crypto
not being supported at the kernel level.  I know this isn't a HUGE deal, but
if there is a Kernel that does, I'd want it even if I never use it.  It's
just a paranoia thing of mine :)
Quote:> MS has an API defined which allows others to impliment crypto. MS itself

Post by tkeat.. » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I was out looking at www.kernel.org.  It said that:
> "Due to U.S. Exports Regulations, this archive does not contain
> cryptographic software. Cryptographic extensions to the Linux kernel are
> archived at kerneli.org. kerneli.org is located in Norway, and has no
> connections with the Linux Kernel Archives or Transmeta Corporation."
> I'm switching from winblows 98/NT to Linux Mandrake.  Although I know that
> M$ security sucks, I still like that it supports crypto (even if the NSA has
> a backdoor).  Do I need to download some kind of patch?  Or does the
> Mandrake version already have that built in since I bought it here in the
> US?
> Thanks

Have a look at http://www.kerneli.org.  If you go look at Mandrakes home page
they have a link to crypto related stuff for their distribution.

Tim.

--

1. Linux Encryption

Hi all

I was wondering about encryption. I used to use scramdisk with windows
(when I still used windows, seems like another lifetime ago), and was very
happy with this open source, free utility.

Unfortunately, Scramdisk is not [yet] available for linux, although the
scramdisk site states that a linux version is in the works.

I would like to know what is available for encryption purposes. I know that
PGP is available, but I liked scramdisks ability to create a "volume" that
was then mounted and unmounted for use as a logical disk.

is anything comperable (and as easy to use + secure) as scramdisk under
Linux? Also, I would like a reference to a good encryption newsgroup that
is appropriate for beginner and advanced alike.

Thanks,

Mathew
--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored assault
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

Linux: It's not an OS, it's a religious experience!

Amateur Radio Operator KD6MSI
www.tuxtrax.com

2. How to find out what your IP address is?

3. Linux -> NT RAS + MSCHAP + encryption

4. Problems with my new Graphics Board

5. Linux and Home dir encryption.

6. Is plain vanila vi still available?

7. Linux version of RIPEM encryption

8. Need help installing DHCP with (MediaOne/ISP) Cable Modem(Surfboard 1200)

9. HELP: DES encryption under Linux international kernel 2.2.x

10. linux and 3com encryption card

11. Loop encryption module locking bug (linux-2.4.5).

12. Encryption between windows and linux server

13. IP encryption possible on Linux ?