Secure link between two machines

Post by Peet Groble » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:52:32

Hi.

I've been thinking about this for a while now...

I need to establish an automated connection between two machines. What's the
best way of doing this over a serial line? (PPP/SLIP/etc?)

The client machine should also be able to execute commands on the server
(run shell scripts). Is there a way to secure this connection (secure
shell?), and how to do it? If someone walks up to the machine, unplugs the
client, and plugs in another machine, access should be rejected.

Can you, for example, setup a ssh connection between the machines, with the
private key on the client machine hidden from everyone except root (no-one
will have root access). This connection has to be automated every time the
client starts. If the server dies and starts again, it should also try and
establish this connection (this can be done via a shell script running every
x minutes to check connection). The remote commands should also be automated
(cron jobs).

Is this at all possible? Should be, I think. I'll do the research, just need
some comments and (if possible) pointers.

Thanks,
Peet

Secure link between two machines

Post by Colin McKinno » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 19:39:29

Quote:> I need to establish an automated connection between two machines. What's
the
> best way of doing this over a serial line? (PPP/SLIP/etc?)

If you must use a serial line, then a packet based protocol is probably the
way to go - although you could use a terminallogin to give basic security,
you're going to have all sorts of problems doing handshaking across the
link.

Quote:> The client machine should also be able to execute commands on the server
> (run shell scripts). Is there a way to secure this connection (secure
> shell?), and how to do it? If someone walks up to the machine, unplugs the
> client, and plugs in another machine, access should be rejected.

There are hundreds of different ways of acheiving what you ask, even if you
confine your thinking to SSH. How much do you ewant to spend? How much time
do you have to work on it? How secure must it be? Could a file on machine A
be compromised? Could a file on machine B be compromised? Will commands only
ever be flowing in one direction? Do you need confirmation that a command
has completed? Do you need to run an interactive program automatically? Is
the application modal? Is tapping of the line a possibility?

The rexec protocol is probably what you're looking for, but it doesn't
encrypt intrinsically. But if you use single use passwords that is not an
issue. Or encrypt the connection.

HTH

Colin

1. How to for configuring secure RPC between two Solaris machines?

Does anybody know if there's a document that can tell me in a few easy
steps what it takes to set up a secure RPC connection between to
Solaris machines? I don't know if it matters, but the connection is
supposed to be between two users who do not have the same user id.
Thanks for any answers.

Wenslauw

2. need help with kernel OOPS message

3. Symbolic links between secure/non-secure server

4. syslog debug error

5. linking two or more machines?

6. Ibm I Series 1440 Laptop

7. Linking two linux machines

8. Intel D815EEA and ADI 1885 Sound Module

9. secure - non secure ftp on two NIC's

10. link two Linux machines to form the smallest LAN, help!

11. Using pty to link two comm programs on the same machine?

12. Link between two machines?

13. Link two machine