NFS or SCP ??

Post by Quentin O'Sulliva » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:28:14

i wonder if anyone can help me with this,

I need to transfer files from one server to another automatically using a
cron.

Is this something you would normally do using NFS? or should i be using SCP
or SFTP ?

the files do not need to be encrypted

many thanks
Quentin

NFS or SCP ??

Post by Birger Toedtman » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:34:18

> i wonder if anyone can help me with this,

> I need to transfer files from one server to another automatically using a
> cron.

> Is this something you would normally do using NFS? or should i be using
> SCP or SFTP ?

> the files do not need to be encrypted

There are numerous ways to transfer data, you can choose upon
your likings which you don't have outlined yet.

Some ways to transfer/syncronize data:

 NFS
 rsync
 FTP
 CVS
 SMB
 SSH (SFTP, SCP)
 RSH (RCP)
 InterMezzo, Coda

Some questions to ask:

 - need to be easy to use?
 - need to "sync", i.e. compare differences between files?
 - need for high volume of data?
 - need for high speed?
 - transfer ongoing in LAN or WAN?

Regards,

Birger

NFS or SCP ??

Post by Kasper Dupon » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:10:35

> i wonder if anyone can help me with this,

> I need to transfer files from one server to another automatically using a
> cron.

> Is this something you would normally do using NFS? or should i be using SCP
> or SFTP ?

How many files do you need to transfer? How large are the files? How much
does they change between the times you need to transfer them?

NFS or SCP ??

Post by Neil Joseph Scull » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:32:59

Quote:

> Is this something you would normally do using NFS? or should i be using
SCP
> or SFTP ?

> the files do not need to be encrypted

Given those two choices, I would go with SCP since NFS is notoriously
difficult to secure. Also, while the encryption of SCP isn't valueable, the
fact that someone watching the session can't just sniff the username and
password and delete the files you just transferred is probably at least a
little valuable, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to get the file moved in
the first place.

Besides, you've probably already got SCP installed, and if not, you should.
-N

NFS or SCP ??

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:14:32

> > Is this something you would normally do using NFS? or should i be using
> SCP
> > or SFTP ?

> > the files do not need to be encrypted

> Given those two choices, I would go with SCP since NFS is notoriously
> difficult to secure. Also, while the encryption of SCP isn't valueable,
the
> fact that someone watching the session can't just sniff the username and
> password and delete the files you just transferred is probably at least a
> little valuable, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to get the file moved in
> the first place.

I would go with "rsync -e ssh" to get symbolic links, pipes, devices, etc.
correct and to reduce the bandwidth of later duplications.

1. scp error: ksh scp: not found lost connection

Hi all,
I have been having problems running scp lately. When I run
scp file-of-hostA hostB:/remote/directory and got the error message:
ksh: scp: not found
lost connection
when scp run with the verbose on, it exit with code 127. I am
forced to use ftp which is a no no. Even with ftp, I could not
ftp from hostA to hostB. It seems that hostB deny all accesses
eventhough all accesses are allowed in its /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/inetd.conf .
From hostA I run
tcpdmatch ftp hostB
hostA said access is granted but when i run ftp hostB, it says
access deny.
I have run scp as regular user and also as root with no success.
The user's account on hostA and hostB have the same ID, Shell.
Please help

annie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Problem understanding some messages from var/log/messages

3. NFS BW-NFS and PC-NFS

4. BOYCOTT ALL SSSCA-PROTECTED MOVIES, MUSIC, ETC. (was: Proprosed copyright bill threat to open source?

5. scp 3G file on 125MB/s network slow at 25MB/s why?

6. FREE Tech Support for EVERYONE...1-800-586-8747

7. non-interactive script w/ssh&scp

8. kwm and shaped window borders

9. SCP not working on RH 7.2

10. Openssh scp - slow transfer