NIS & Shadow Passwords

Post by heimd.. » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm working in an environemnt where we are running Solaris 2.6 and RedHat
machines and I was curious if anyone had configured NIS so that both
type of platforms can use the same NIS Shadow passwords?

Thanks,
Daniel

NIS & Shadow Passwords

Post by Stephen Nicholso » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The HOWTOS are a little unclear on this giving the impression that Solaris
doesn't support shadow passwords when I think it means if the master server
is linux.

All that is beside the point though. The answer to your question is "Yes I
have but it depends on your system"

I haven't confirmed this but shadow passwords from a Solaris master server
work on an older system (Redhat4, Suse5) but not on a newer system
(Redhat5/6, Suse6). I have no idea why and nobody was able to help me in the
slightest when I put out a call for help.

Stephen Nicholson

Quote:> I'm working in an environemnt where we are running Solaris 2.6 and RedHat
> machines and I was curious if anyone had configured NIS so that both
> type of platforms can use the same NIS Shadow passwords?

> Thanks,
> Daniel

NIS & Shadow Passwords

Post by Stephen Nicholso » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

NIS works fine with Shadow passwords. It appears (from my experiences) that
linux is the problem and only newer versions of linux at that.

Stephen Nicholson

GMT:
> > I'm working in an environemnt where we are running Solaris 2.6 and
RedHat
> > machines and I was curious if anyone had configured NIS so that both
> > type of platforms can use the same NIS Shadow passwords?

> Hmm, I thought that NIS doesn't work with shadow passwords. There seems to
be a
> replacement called NIS+, that supports shadow passwords.

> mdb
> --

NIS & Shadow Passwords

Post by heimd.. » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> The HOWTOS are a little unclear on this giving the impression that Solaris
> doesn't support shadow passwords when I think it means if the master server
> is linux.
> All that is beside the point though. The answer to your question is "Yes I
> have but it depends on your system"

*grin* The NIS HOWTO is out-and-out wrong.  It states that Solaris doesn't
support shadowed passwords in NIS, when it most certainly does.  In fact,
if you issue a ypinit -m on a system with shadowed passwords, it will
automatically generate the appropriate maps.

At this point, I'd be happy with the NIS Master being on either a Linux or
a Solaris box.  We haven't gotten it at all implement yet, so I have some
flexibility.  Do you think there might be some patches that might make
a more modern Linux system (RedHat 5.2 - 6.1) be able to authenticate against
a Solaris NIS Master (Solaris 2.6)?

NIS & Shadow Passwords

Post by Tim Saile » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: At this point, I'd be happy with the NIS Master being on either a Linux or
: a Solaris box.  We haven't gotten it at all implement yet, so I have some
: flexibility.  Do you think there might be some patches that might make
: a more modern Linux system (RedHat 5.2 - 6.1) be able to authenticate against
: a Solaris NIS Master (Solaris 2.6)?

At my 'real' job we have both Linux (Debian) NIS masters, with aix,
solaris, sgi and linux clients, and Solaris (2.5.1) masters with
all the above clients. There is no NIS problems.

Tim

--
   >> Tim Sailer                       ><  Coastal Internet, Inc.          <<
   >> Network and Systems Operations   ><  PO Box 671                      <<
   >> http://www.buoy.com              ><  Ridge, NY 11961                 <<

NIS & Shadow Passwords

Post by heimd.. » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> : At this point, I'd be happy with the NIS Master being on either a Linux or
> : a Solaris box.  We haven't gotten it at all implement yet, so I have some
> : flexibility.  Do you think there might be some patches that might make
> : a more modern Linux system (RedHat 5.2 - 6.1) be able to authenticate against
> : a Solaris NIS Master (Solaris 2.6)?
> At my 'real' job we have both Linux (Debian) NIS masters, with aix,
> solaris, sgi and linux clients, and Solaris (2.5.1) masters with
> all the above clients. There is no NIS problems.

With standard NIS, no problems.  The problems arises when you want to use
passwd.adjunct (shadow) across NIS.  I was able to contact the maintainer
of the NIS HOWTO, though, and he said that Linux systems based on glib >2.1
should have support for passwd.adjunct.  I don't know about SGI, but I'm
fairly certain that AIX does *NOT* support this feature.

1. nis & shadow password

I have a nis on my aix network without any shadow, we are schedule for an
audit and we will fail unless we have some type of shadow on our nis
environment, Does anybody have any idea on how to set it up???.

Thanks,

claudia

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
 Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

2. OK, just one more to lighten the atmosphere in this group....

3. NIS & Shadow Passwords

4. PCI display card needed___

5. linux with NIS & shadowed passwords

6. ignore it...

7. NIS+ && shadow passwords?

8. kde & gnome running. no internet though :-(

9. HELP: NIS w/shadow password and password aging, etc

10. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

11. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

12. ssh change password & shadow password

13. NIS security && shadow