unknown user send to non exist email account

unknown user send to non exist email account

Post by Geof » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 03:28:18

hi all,
Recently I received a chain of emails from unknown user to my mail server
(linux 7.2 sendmail). All emails were forwarded to my postmaster as all
intended recipients/email accounts he tried to send to does not exist. Is
this called spam? How do I stop this people to keep doing this to my mail
server?

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:23:03

>hi all,
>Recently I received a chain of emails from unknown user to my mail server
>(linux 7.2 sendmail). All emails were forwarded to my postmaster as all
>intended recipients/email accounts he tried to send to does not exist. Is
>this called spam?

Yes.

Quote:>How do I stop this people to keep doing this to my mail
>server?

Ask in news.admin.net-abuse.email and you can get really good
instructions from the mail systems gurus who hang out there.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
"Y'know, I can *say* I'm Ming The Merciless, Emporer of Planet Mongo, but
unless I can produce a few legions of heavily-armed rocket ships, you're not

Post by Edward L » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:24:18

> hi all,
> Recently I received a chain of emails from unknown user to my mail server
> (linux 7.2 sendmail). All emails were forwarded to my postmaster as all
> intended recipients/email accounts he tried to send to does not exist. Is
> this called spam? How do I stop this people to keep doing this to my mail
> server?

Yes, you are the intended recipients and they like to use accounts
like webmaster, support and sales.  Don't use these accounts and don't
accept catch-all emails.

1. Preventing (some) accounts from sending non-local email

Hullo.
    We're running FreeBSD 2.2.2 here with an 8.8 sendmail as our mail server.
This acts as a POP server which windows client machines fetch e-mail from using
netscape.

    We're a relatively new site, and only recently have had internet access.
We're looking to pilot a scheme to give students e-mail accounts. Currently,
their accounts would be created purely for e-mail: no student should have any
need to log on to the server; it'd all be done with POP3 & SMTP.

There are a couple of questions that I could do with some help with:

1. We've got about 1200 students. Our mail server is running on a pentium
machine with lots of disk space. Are there any practical limitations to the
number of accounts we can create on this machine? Or can FreeBSD handle that
many user accounts without too much stress? Remember, most of the user base will

not be logging in to work on the machine, merely fetching their mail from it.
[I don't really think there ought to be a problem here: i'm afraid that I just
have a nagging doubt - i still tend to think of a PC running Unix as a 'small'
or 'toy' system. Please don't flame me for this - I 'd love to be proved wrong
in this respect]

2. Is it possible to configure an account or set of accounts to be unable to
send external mail? That is, we'd like the account "student_489" to only be able

to send e-mail to the domain "stbrn.ac.uk" (ie, here). If this is possible, how
is it done? Email would be dealt with using POP/SMTP only, not using any of the
unix mail clients.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me in this regard: If poss, could you
forward a copy of your reply to:

Thanks in advance.

jan

2. :segmentation fault

3. Sendmail: giving user accounts an e-mail account

4. RedHat Secure Server: ssl_int_SetCertStuff failed?

5. rmuser says a user does not exist, but adduser says the user does exist?

6. Help NIC problem

7. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

8. Native JDK or Linux JDK 1.4 in Jail?

9. User Unknown To SMTP, But exists in password file

10. AIX 4.2.1.0 non-uucp email transport with single mailbox ISP account

11. Using Sendmail to send error messages to an internet email account?

12. Use WinNT User Accounts on Linux -- Centralize User Accounts

13. quota on non-existing user/group