HELP we cannot loggin anymore

Post by free » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We cannot login anymore on our Redhat 6.0.(kernel 2.2.5-15)
When the system is started, the word login appears but whatever user you put
there, he just removes it and never get to password.
Telnet also doesn't work anymore but the mail and ftp are still working.

Anyone knows what's going on? Cause we really are in problems.

Thanks in advance

HELP we cannot loggin anymore

Post by Ansgar Strickerschmid » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

freek schrieb:

Quote:

> Hi,

> We cannot login anymore on our Redhat 6.0.(kernel 2.2.5-15)
> When the system is started, the word login appears but whatever user you put
> there, he just removes it and never get to password.
> Telnet also doesn't work anymore but the mail and ftp are still working.

> Anyone knows what's going on? Cause we really are in problems.

Sounds like you've been hacked... (We're through the very same as well.)
Take the box off the net immediately.
Mount the harddisk "noexec" into another box to save relevant data. Take
care also to save the files from /var/log for further investigation and
analysis.
Or: Boot into Emergency/Rescueing system from your installation CD, save
your important data elsewhere.
Re-install Linux when done.
Install a reasonable firewall, with all recent security patches applied.
Better upgrade your Linux to the most recent version as well.

--
Ansgar Strickerschmidt, Munich, Germany
---

1. Cannot Login anymore !!! Help !!!

Hello Linux-Freaks,

a few days ago I tried to install getty_ps. I changed the entries
in /etc/inittab and now my system won't let me login anymore.
It keeps saying '_setutent: utmp: No such file or directory'

My system-data: 486-33 with Linux V.1.1.76, Mitsumi CD-ROM.
Using my bootdisks they all say ext2fs not supported by kernel, when
I try to boot with them  and mount my root-partition manually ?!

Please helpme. For instance is there a way to overrride the settings
in /etc/inittab during bootup ???

Thanks in advance...

Andreas Spengler
rr

2. NIC Problems...

3. Help: cannot change password anymore!

4. HP Blade Server presentation, Davis - Sept. 3rd

5. Help?!?! I cannot login anymore.

6. KDE shortcuts - command line configuration

7. HELP! CANNOT LOGIN ANYMORE!

8. Unix character set

9. HELP Linux/Win98 dual - Win cannot boot anymore

10. Help:Switched to redhat 4.1 and cannot get SLIP connection going anymore.

11. Cannot mail anything @freebsd.org anymore, help please!

12. HELP: Why passwd cannot change shell anymore?

13. trouble while loggin in: _secure_path: cannot stat /home/username/.login_conf