John the Ripper: How to crack passwords with non-US characters like ?, ü, ?, ?

John the Ripper: How to crack passwords with non-US characters like ?, ü, ?, ?

Post by Kleiner Hamp » Fri, 02 May 2003 22:52:37

Hi!

I want to crack a unix DES encrypted password which contains some
special german characters as ?, ?, and ?! How can i create a
charset, which contains these special characters?
Or isn't it possible to crack such passwords?

regards,
hampel

John the Ripper: How to crack passwords with non-US characters like ?, ü, ?, ?

Post by Bill Marcu » Tue, 06 May 2003 08:19:47

On 1 May 2003 06:52:37 -0700, Kleiner Hampel

> Hi!

> I want to crack a unix DES encrypted password which contains some
> special german characters as ?, ?, and ?! How can i create a
> charset, which contains these special characters?
> Or isn't it possible to crack such passwords?

I've never tried it, but I think you just need a German dictionary file,
assuming that the password is actually a word.

--
bill marcum the mushroom-eating laboratory monkey
What kind of monkey are you? http://thesurrealist.co.uk/monkey.cgi

Post by Juha Kustaa Silta » Tue, 06 May 2003 15:09:35

> On 1 May 2003 06:52:37 -0700, Kleiner Hampel

>> Hi!

>> I want to crack a unix DES encrypted password which contains some
>> special german characters as ?, ?, and ?! How can i create a
>> charset, which contains these special characters?
>> Or isn't it possible to crack such passwords?

> I've never tried it, but I think you just need a German dictionary file,
> assuming that the password is actually a word.

BTW, I wouldn't use such a password myself. It's annoying enough to have
Scandinavian letters in your password when the system is broken and your
keyboard only produces US ASCII =)

--
Juha Siltala

1. Crack vs John The Ripper

There is always alot of talk about Crack in this newsgroup, but no one
ever mentions John The Ripper.

Does anyone have any benchmarks comparing the two crackers?  It seems to
me that John The Ripper running on a stand alone P75 with 16MB of RAM
under plain DOS runs about twice as fast as Crack running on a $15000+
Ultra 2/2170 with 500+MB of RAM.

Any comments?
--
|    Giovanni Militano     | Avid reader of the unmoderated newsgroup   |

|   Winnipeg, Manitoba     | Coo Coo Clock may be present!  :(          |
|                  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~ummilit2                |

2. compiling assembly with gcc

3. 4.3 compiling John-1.5 {John the ripper}

4. Mutt for AIX

5. Non US (English) characters from a US keyboard

6. Tape Backup Software Recommendation

7. Non-US characters on X

8. Star Office 5.0 soffice missing

9. John the Ripper wordlists