ipchains vs iptables, help

Post by max barwel » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I decided to run the latest kernel, and up until now have used ipchains,
but now I see it is iptables, netfilter, etc. I know you can stick with
ipchains which is what I've done, but I was wondering if this is wise. I
found my iptables script tricky to set up, and had a few other problems
 that I never had with ipchains. I know it would probably be alright if I
 tinker and get used to iptables, but what I really want to know is if I'm
 just using it to secure my home box on a dialup and not doing any fancy
routing, mangling, etc is there any real reason to use iptables.
please suggest pros, cons, etc.

thanks, Max
--
--------------------------------------
-     Max Barwell     - - Powered by -

--------------------------------------

ipchains vs iptables, help

Post by Steve Co » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I decided to run the latest kernel, and up until now have used ipchains,
> but now I see it is iptables, netfilter, etc. I know you can stick with
> ipchains which is what I've done, but I was wondering if this is wise. I
> found my iptables script tricky to set up, and had a few other problems
>  that I never had with ipchains. I know it would probably be alright if
>  I  tinker and get used to iptables, but what I really want to know is
>  if I'm just using it to secure my home box on a dialup and not doing
>  any fancy
> routing, mangling, etc is there any real reason to use iptables.
> please suggest pros, cons, etc.

> thanks, Max

HI,

I'm toying with the idea of iptables but have yet to
jump in.

Theoretically, iptables are better as it implements a 'stateful'
firewall, rather than 'stateless'  - modifying rules depending
on existing connections. Allowing you to have a more closed
system as default.

Have you looked at the www.linux-firewall-tools/linux
site? It generates ipchains and iptables scripts via a
questioinnaire. It may be useful to compare the two
rulesets fo rthe same configuration criteria.

Steve

ipchains vs iptables, help

Post by Anibal Monsalve Salaza » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > I decided to run the latest kernel, and up until now have used
> > ipchains, but now I see it is iptables, netfilter, etc. I know you
> > can stick with ipchains which is what I've done, but I was
> > wondering if this is wise. I found my iptables script tricky to
> > set up, and had a few other problems that I never had with
> > ipchains. I know it would probably be alright if I tinker and get
> > used to iptables, but what I really want to know is if I'm just
> > using it to secure my home box on a dialup and not doing any fancy
> > routing, mangling, etc is there any real reason to use iptables.
> > please suggest pros, cons, etc.

> > thanks, Max

> HI,

> I'm toying with the idea of iptables but have yet to
> jump in.

> Theoretically, iptables are better as it implements a 'stateful'
> firewall, rather than 'stateless'  - modifying rules depending
> on existing connections. Allowing you to have a more closed
> system as default.

> Have you looked at the www.linux-firewall-tools/linux
> site? It generates ipchains and iptables scripts via a
> questioinnaire. It may be useful to compare the two
> rulesets fo rthe same configuration criteria.

> Steve

Steve,

The URL is missing '.com'. The correct URL is:

  http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/

Regards.

Anibal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ipchains vs iptables, help

Post by Charles McLaga » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Check out http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/davion/iptables-script

The script as shown will need some tweaking, but by looking at the
manpage and at NAT/IPTABLES howtos you should be able to figure
it out.  I did in one evening.  Works great.

ccm

> I decided to run the latest kernel, and up until now have used ipchains,
> but now I see it is iptables, netfilter, etc. I know you can stick with
> ipchains which is what I've done, but I was wondering if this is wise. I
> found my iptables script tricky to set up, and had a few other problems
>  that I never had with ipchains. I know it would probably be alright if I
>  tinker and get used to iptables, but what I really want to know is if I'm
>  just using it to secure my home box on a dialup and not doing any fancy
> routing, mangling, etc is there any real reason to use iptables.
> please suggest pros, cons, etc.

> thanks, Max
> --
> --------------------------------------
> -     Max Barwell     - - Powered by -

> --------------------------------------

1. ipchains vs iptables

Which is the newer method for filtering, ipchains or iptables? I am
currently using ipchains and have read I can't forward PPTP packets
properly unless I use iptables. I this true?

        Tim Loepp

2. Q: No /boot/loader, why ?

3. ipchains vs. iptables for firewalls??

4. Recommendation for RH5.1 PCI soundcard?

5. iptables vs. ipchains

6. tli deamons wont startup..

7. iptables vs ipchains and aliased ethernet ports

8. No valid root shell...!

9. Iptables vs. Ipchains

10. Hardware firewall vs ipchains/iptables

11. NAT & iptables vs. ipchains?

12. ipchains vs iptables

13. ipchains vs. iptables