How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

Post by mahdi hasanaba » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:19:44



hi everyone:)
I'm comfortable to use ipchains and I used it in redhat 7.1 .
but now I install redhat 7.2 and in this version, iptables is working
by default and I can not use ipchains.
How can I active ipchains in redhat 7.2?
I appreciate any guide.have funmahdi hasanabadi
 
 
 

How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

Post by Andrew Carso » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:34:40



Quote:> hi everyone:)
> I'm comfortable to use ipchains and I used it in redhat 7.1 .
> but now I install redhat 7.2 and in this version, iptables is working
> by default and I can not use ipchains.
> How can I active ipchains in redhat 7.2?
> I appreciate any guide.have funmahdi hasanabadi

Hmm.. that doesnt sound right.. I'm pretty sure that RH7.2 installs both,
but ipchains is loaded by default.  Just check to see if ipchains is
installed by doing rpm -q ipchains and it'll either come back with the
version or tell you it's not installed.  If you really want to use ipchains
instead of iptables, rpm -e iptables, to remove iptables and if ipchains
isnt installed (probably is) do rpm -Uvh ipchains<version>.rpm from your
RPMS directory.
But really.. use iptables.. it scores over ipchains, and is actually a lot
easier to use.

HTH
Andrew.

 
 
 

How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:07:27





> > hi everyone:)
> > I'm comfortable to use ipchains and I used it in redhat 7.1 .
> > but now I install redhat 7.2 and in this version, iptables is working
> > by default and I can not use ipchains.
> > How can I active ipchains in redhat 7.2?
> > I appreciate any guide.have funmahdi hasanabadi

> Hmm.. that doesnt sound right.. I'm pretty sure that RH7.2 installs both,
> but ipchains is loaded by default.

That is correct. RH7.[12] uses ipchains by default
which I think is a bad decision by RedHat.

Quote:> But really.. use iptables.. it scores over ipchains, and is actually a lot
> easier to use.

I agree.

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid p? usenet.


 
 
 

How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

Post by Wojtek Walcza » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:19:53


Dnia Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:07:27 +0200, Kasper Dupont napisa3(a):
Quote:>> Hmm.. that doesnt sound right.. I'm pretty sure that RH7.2 installs both,
>> but ipchains is loaded by default.
> That is correct. RH7.[12] uses ipchains by default
> which I think is a bad decision by RedHat.

Why?

--
[ Wojtek gminick Walczak ][ http://gminick.linuxsecurity.pl/ ]
[ gminick (at) hacker.pl ][ gminick (at) underground.org.pl/ ]

 
 
 

How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

Post by James Ride » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:14:59



> Dnia Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:07:27 +0200, Kasper Dupont napisa3(a):
> >> Hmm.. that doesnt sound right.. I'm pretty sure that RH7.2 installs both,
> >> but ipchains is loaded by default.
> > That is correct. RH7.[12] uses ipchains by default
> > which I think is a bad decision by RedHat.
> Why?

Because stateful filtering (iptables) is better - eg. I can assume
that most connections initiated by my machine are OK and drop most of
the rest. Compare with stateless filtering, I have to guess if the
connection's OK based on port numbers etc.

cheers,
 Jamie (just installing RH 7.3, will check default on that)
--

MSc student, Dept. of Informatics, University of Edinburgh.

 
 
 

How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:22:36



> Dnia Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:07:27 +0200, Kasper Dupont napisa3(a):
> >> Hmm.. that doesnt sound right.. I'm pretty sure that RH7.2 installs both,
> >> but ipchains is loaded by default.
> > That is correct. RH7.[12] uses ipchains by default
> > which I think is a bad decision by RedHat.
> Why?

The ugly hack in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post
should be reason enough for considering ipchains a bad
decision. With the statefull inspection of iptables that
hack had not been necesarry, and they could have made a
better default ruleset. And that better ruleset would
even have been shorter than their current ipchains
ruleset.

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid p? usenet.


 
 
 

1. How can I active and use IPCHAINS replace of IPTABLES in redhat 7.2 ?

hi everyone:)
I'm comfortable to use ipchains and I used it in redhat 7.1 .
but now I install redhat 7.2 and in this version, iptables is working
by default and I can not use ipchains.
How can I active ipchains in redhat 7.2?
I appreciate any guide.
have fun
mahdi hasanabadi

2. SCO 504 vs DGux

3. I'm confused with ipchains/iptables on Redhat 7.2

4. Newbie: X fonts are too small

5. RedHat 7.2 ping/telnet problems with active ppp

6. Merge 4.0/Unixware

7. Redhat 7.2 - ipchains (i need an idiots access method)

8. Mitsumi CD rom Drevision plight

9. redhat 7.2 iptables logging not working

10. ipchains on redhat 7.2

11. Conflict between POP server and iptables firewall on Redhat 7.2

12. ipchains in RedHat 7.2

13. iptables ULOG and RedHat 7.2