IPSec vs. PPTP vs. ?

Post by Peter Mood » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

hi all,
im gonna be setting up a couple of vpn's between some of our offices
(and maybe later including the traveling sales-people), so i've been
reading what I can about various implementations of vpn's.  now I want
your opinion.
im wondering what sort of client/server software i can find for pptp (is
that an ms protocol?), ipsec (i've heard great things about this, but
does it only work in the 2.0 kernel series), and whatever else exists
for linux that I haven't heard about yet.
the various protocols need to be able to masqeraude, as the boxen they
live on will either be fire walls, or behind fire walls.
is this making sense? what was handed to me was sorta broad, so I'm
tyring my best to clarify.
thanks in advance for all your help.
-Peter

IPSec vs. PPTP vs. ?

Post by Grant Gra » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

take a look at FreeSWAN (an IPSEC implementation for Linux)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan/

> hi all,
> im gonna be setting up a couple of vpn's between some of our offices
> (and maybe later including the traveling sales-people), so i've been
> reading what I can about various implementations of vpn's.  now I want
> your opinion.
> im wondering what sort of client/server software i can find for pptp (is
> that an ms protocol?), ipsec (i've heard great things about this, but
> does it only work in the 2.0 kernel series), and whatever else exists
> for linux that I haven't heard about yet.
> the various protocols need to be able to masqeraude, as the boxen they
> live on will either be fire walls, or behind fire walls.
> is this making sense? what was handed to me was sorta broad, so I'm
> tyring my best to clarify.
> thanks in advance for all your help.
> -Peter

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. libgt.so.1 and libqt.so.1 missing in Linuxppc install

3. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

4. Apache and shell limits for child processes

5. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

6. uucp setup

7. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

8. Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/lp0'

9. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

10. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

11. BSD vs S5 vs MACH vs OSF/1 (no religion, please!)

12. GTK vs Qt vs Motif vs tcl/Tk???

13. Short Summary of Linux vs. Win9X vs. Mac vs. ???