will chains convert to tables?

Post by Anthony Ewel » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:55:35

Hi All,

    Not to ask too dumb a question, but is
there a script or other conversion that will
allow me to convert my (red hat 7.0) ipchains
into (red hat 7.1) iptables?  Is there a HOWTO
floating around out there?

    Many thanks,

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish.  Therefore, I am.

will chains convert to tables?

Post by KW » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:18:01

I don't know of any scripts, but you can compare the man pages for iptables to
the ipchains script and make the changes.   The syntax isn't that different.
If you have a long script you might look into using sed to replace what you
need....

--
KW

Post by Manfred Bart » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 08:53:36

> Not to ask too dumb a question, but is there a script or other
> conversion that will allow me to convert my (red hat 7.0) ipchains
> into (red hat 7.1) iptables?  Is there a HOWTO floating around out
> there?

The syntax of the two might look similar, but the architecture
of netfilter is very different from that of ipchains.  That makes
a one-to-one conversion difficult.

Also, since a one-to-one conversion would not use any of the
advanced features of netfilter you might as well stay with the
more proven ipchains.

--
Manfred
NetfilterLogAnalyzer, NetCalc, whois at: <http://logi.cc/linux/>

will chains convert to tables?

Post by Skip Frizzel » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:42:44

  Note: I have ported the kernel portions of both ipchains and ipfwadm
  as modules on top of netfilter, enabling the use of the old ipfwadm
  and ipchains userspace tools without requiring an upgrade.

http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/netfilter-hacking-HOWTO.txt
http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/packet-filtering-HOWTO.txt

So sayeth Rusty Russell, good luck.

        -=Skip

> Hi All,

>     Not to ask too dumb a question, but is
> there a script or other conversion that will
> allow me to convert my (red hat 7.0) ipchains
> into (red hat 7.1) iptables?  Is there a HOWTO
> floating around out there?

>     Many thanks,

> --Tony

> --
> -------------------------
> I Fish.  Therefore, I am.
> -------------------------

1. I need help converting a Cisco PIX command to an iptables chain.

We have an entire range of pc's on an entire subnet.  I want to mimic
the Cisco PIX firewall's global pool command (i.e 192.168.0/24 in
public/24 out) and I thought
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INET_IFACE -j SNAT --to-source
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy was the answer but it is not.  The
outgoing address is assigned an ip in the range I dictate but responses
are never returned to the client's machine.

If anyone can explain why I can go out in the range I say (it does
convert private ip to public ip)
but traffic never flows back I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. quad card input errors

3. IPTABLES - What is the OUTPUT chain in the nat table ?

4. Lexmark 3200 Color Inkjet Printer under OpenLinux 2.2

5. LPrng and ip[tables][chains]

6. Find The Dirt On The Internet!! Updated!!

7. order of ip tables/chains?

8. VMware on Linux will change everything.

9. IP tables vs/ chains

10. IP Chains / Ip Tables

11. NAT tables chains

12. Going from IP chains to IP tables