Virus protection against WINDOWS Viruses, server releated.

Virus protection against WINDOWS Viruses, server releated.

Post by James Wes » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone out there know of a piece of virus protection software against
Windows based viruses?
The reason I ask is that I have a lot of Windows clients plugged into my
Samba servers sharing files like Word documents and emails and would like to
perform scans at night.

Any info would be greatfully recieved.

Thankyou in advance,

James.

Post by Peter Tod » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone out there know of a piece of virus protection software against
> Windows based viruses?
> The reason I ask is that I have a lot of Windows clients plugged into my
> Samba servers sharing files like Word documents and emails and would like to
> perform scans at night.

FProt from www.datafellows.com can run on Linux. It also detects
the small handfull (3?) of Linux viruses.

Post by Kirk Blu » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

http://www.sophos.com/products/antivirus/savunix.html

http://www.hbedv.com/

--
Kirk Blue

http://home.columbus.rr.com/nextofkin/
http://nextofkin.penguinpowered.com/

Post by Lee Shar » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

|Does anyone out there know of a piece of virus protection software against
|Windows based viruses?
|The reason I ask is that I have a lot of Windows clients plugged into my
|Samba servers sharing files like Word documents and emails and would like
|perform scans at night.

   In the interest of open source...
http://ntua.linuxberg.com/conhtml/sys_scanners.html has a list of several,
ranging from GPL to commercial.  Amavis even uses popular virus definitions
from Win products.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

Virus protection against WINDOWS Viruses, server releated.

Post by Rainer Lin » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Quote:> Does anyone out there know of a piece of virus protection software against
> Windows based viruses?

Please look at http://av-linux.w3.to/

Quote:> The reason I ask is that I have a lot of Windows clients plugged into my
> Samba servers sharing files like Word documents and emails and would like to
> perform scans at night.

Well, for an on-access check of the samba shares, I would suggest either
H+B EDV AvGuard (kernel 2.0.36-38) or KasperskyLabs AVPMonitor (2.2.x
kernel).
For real-time eMail-checking, you can choose between Trend Micro
InterScan VirusWall (commercial), IspMailGate (see CPAN-Archive), AMaViS
(see also the two patches for AMaViS from my homepage) or AvGate from
H+B EDV.
Please note, that KasperskyLab AVP for Linux is now commercial - my
question about a free version for private use was not answered.

HTH

best regards,
Rainer Link

--

Student of Communication Engineering/Computer Networking, University of
Applied Sciences,Furtwangen,Germany,http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/

Virus protection against WINDOWS Viruses, server releated.

Post by Holger von Amel » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

this is not really a followup, but I it is also virus-related.
I have AmaVis and different virus protection products installed on a RedHat 6.1
machine to check E-Mail and Samba shares.
What I would like to do is check any HTTP and FTP transfers. Is there any way to
integrate anv-software with proxy-servers like Squid ?

Thanks,

Holger von Ameln

1. Virus protection for network (SuSE 9.3 server, Win2K workstations)

Hello all,

we are about to update our small LAN: 30 workstations under Windows -
mixed NT4 to XP and two servers running WinNT4.

The new server (SuSE 9.3) is almost ready to launch (SQL-server,
PDC/Samba, Mailserver etc.). Last step of the installation should have
been the configuration of the central virus protection - currently
TrendMicro Server Suite Enterprise (Serverprotect & Officescan) - this
should also run unter Linux...

Should...if You're using Kernel 2.4.x where "x"=19 or 21...
A new version, supporting Kernel 2.6 was announced for November - now
delayed until "end of January" - I think it's time to look for
alternatives.

Is there anything with similar features as TrendMicro - especially:

* Realtime scan of server and network-drives and
* central management of pattern-updates on the workstations (WinXP and
Win2K)?

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Axel Gutmann

2. FrontPage extension problems

3. viruses or virus checkers?

4. cp / update

5. Virus Alert: happy99.exe attachment is a virus.

6. any suggestion about reading kernel source code ?

7. virus warning on virus-watch.com

8. glibc update

9. Linux file virus, 8759 bytes, is this a known virus?

10. Sendmail virus checkerHas anyone any information on a sendmail virus checker

11. VIRUS ALERT- Linux/*BSD honour virus found

12. anti-virus software maker 'predicts' increase in 'Linux-based' Viruses !