Gnome network security?

Post by Roy Stogn » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Playing around as root (running "netstat -tap" specifically) I
discover that gnome apps are listening on several TCP ports.

Should I be worried?  I like gnome, but I doubt the gnome apps have
received the kind of remote exploit/DOS hunt that sshd, ftpd, etc
have.  And even if they're not running as root, I doubt it would take
long for someone having hacked my account to grab keystrokes as I
su'ed to root.
---
Roy Stogner

1. How do I build "gnome-network" and "gnome-ppp"

This is my first attempt at building packages with Linux (RedHat 5.2).

I've installed the latest Gnome 1.08 RPMS from RedHat, but they no longer
include the gnome-network (including gnome-ppp) or gnome-admin packages. The
older versions won't run on the new gnome.

Here's what I've done so far:

* Downloaded all of the latest gnome devel packages and installed them.
* Downloaded the gnome-network and gnome-admin source tar files and copied
them into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
* Used the command "rpm -tb /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/gnome-network......." -
with the appropriate filename.

But after much processing, it exits with a "bad exit" or something similar
and the RPMS weren't built.

Cheers

Steve Day
Linear Designs

2. How to install my sound card ?

3. **FREE** Security Booklet "The Network Security Game" (Repost...sorry)

4. bzero() and bcopy()

5. New Look Security-Forums Dot Com - Computer Security - Networking - Firewalls - Exploits and More.

6. memory limit on Tru64?

7. Network Security Assessment/NT Security mailing lists

8. What else is hidden in MS code???

9. Internet Security Monthly & Network Security Observations ???

10. *Free* Security Booklet available (The Network Security Game)

11. Req: Networking Firewall / Network Security Consultant

12. Information regarding Networking and Networking Security

13. Security hole in GNOME