unreal tournament and linux firewall

Post by The ma » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have configured a linux machine to be my gateway to the internet for
my windows network and have install a firewall from:
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
my problem is I cannot get unreal tournament to work through the
firewall. I understand I have to open ports....and I believe they are
UDP 2000-2009. I am not trying to run an unreal server just play the
game over the internet. It works fine without the firewall. I am using
Redhat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.x with ipmasq ....any ideas. The program stops
when trying to PING the servers....I think I have the ports open for
pinging.  Please send responses to:

                        Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kevin Clar » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have configured a linux machine to be my gateway to the internet for
> my windows network and have install a firewall from:
> http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
> my problem is I cannot get unreal tournament to work through the
> firewall. I understand I have to open ports....and I believe they are
> UDP 2000-2009. I am not trying to run an unreal server just play the
> game over the internet. It works fine without the firewall. I am using
> Redhat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.x with ipmasq ....any ideas. The program stops
> when trying to PING the servers....I think I have the ports open for
> pinging.  Please send responses to:

>                         Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you

I add the following lines to my firewall to get UT to work:

 # Unreal Tournament (7777)
    # -----------------

    # Unreal Game Sites

    ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
             -d $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 -j ACCEPT

    ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
             -s $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 \
             -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

UT uses the UDP protocal and servers operate on ports 7776 and 7777 (maybe
more but these cover most of them), the master server is contacted from
port 7778.  This is my best guess anyway.
Bottom line this works for me.  This might not be the best way either.

unreal tournament and linux firewall

Post by Kevin Clar » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > I have configured a linux machine to be my gateway to the internet for
> > my windows network and have install a firewall from:
> > http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
> > my problem is I cannot get unreal tournament to work through the
> > firewall. I understand I have to open ports....and I believe they are
> > UDP 2000-2009. I am not trying to run an unreal server just play the
> > game over the internet. It works fine without the firewall. I am using
> > Redhat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.x with ipmasq ....any ideas. The program stops
> > when trying to PING the servers....I think I have the ports open for
> > pinging.  Please send responses to:

> >                         Thanks

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you

> I add the following lines to my firewall to get UT to work:

>  # Unreal Tournament (7777)
>     # -----------------

>     # Unreal Game Sites

>     ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
>              -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
>              -d $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 -j ACCEPT

>     ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp  \
>              -s $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 \
>              -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

> UT uses the UDP protocal and servers operate on ports 7776 and 7777 (maybe
> more but these cover most of them), the master server is contacted from
> port 7778.  This is my best guess anyway.
> Bottom line this works for me.  This might not be the best way either.

I think this will only work on the firewall machine.  To run UT on the masq
machine is something else.

unreal tournament and linux firewall

Post by The ma » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Kevin,
        I am trying to run unreal from one of the windows machines behind the
gateway. My gateway is just a pentium 90 ( I don't run anythin on it)
Without the firewall it runs fine....Once the firewall is up .....the
game will not run.

> > > I have configured a linux machine to be my gateway to the internet
for
> > > my windows network and have install a firewall from:
> > > http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
> > > my problem is I cannot get unreal tournament to work through the
> > > firewall. I understand I have to open ports....and I believe they
are
> > > UDP 2000-2009. I am not trying to run an unreal server just play
the
> > > game over the internet. It works fine without the firewall. I am
using
> > > Redhat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.x with ipmasq ....any ideas. The program
stops
> > > when trying to PING the servers....I think I have the ports open
for
> > > pinging. Please send responses to:

> > > Thanks

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you

> > I add the following lines to my firewall to get UT to work:

> > # Unreal Tournament (7777)
> > # -----------------

> > # Unreal Game Sites

> > ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp \
> > -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
> > -d $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 -j ACCEPT

> > ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp \
> > -s $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 \
> > -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

> > UT uses the UDP protocal and servers operate on ports 7776 and 7777
(maybe
> > more but these cover most of them), the master server is contacted
from
> > port 7778. This is my best guess anyway.
> > Bottom line this works for me. This might not be the best way
either.

> I think this will only work on the firewall machine. To run UT on the
masq
> machine is something else.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

unreal tournament and linux firewall

Post by jc » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I think all you need to do is allow UDP on
port 7776-7778 for UT.  At least that applies for
connecting (outbound) to most UT servers.

Quote:> Kevin,
> I am trying to run unreal from one of the windows machines behind the
> gateway. My gateway is just a pentium 90 ( I don't run anythin on it)
> Without the firewall it runs fine....Once the firewall is up .....the
> game will not run.

unreal tournament and linux firewall

Post by Kevin Clar » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Kevin,
>         I am trying to run unreal from one of the windows machines behind the
> gateway. My gateway is just a pentium 90 ( I don't run anythin on it)
> Without the firewall it runs fine....Once the firewall is up .....the
> game will not run.

> for
> are
> the
> using
> stops
> for

> > > I add the following lines to my firewall to get UT to work:

> > > # Unreal Tournament (7777)
> > > # -----------------

> > > # Unreal Game Sites

> > > ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp \
> > > -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
> > > -d $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 -j ACCEPT

> > > ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp \
> > > -s $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 \
> > > -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

> > > UT uses the UDP protocal and servers operate on ports 7776 and 7777
> (maybe
> > > more but these cover most of them), the master server is contacted
> from
> > > port 7778. This is my best guess anyway.
> > > Bottom line this works for me. This might not be the best way
> either.

> > I think this will only work on the firewall machine. To run UT on the
> masq
> > machine is something else.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sounds like you are trying to run unreal from one of the masqed machines?  Take
a look at the IP Masq HOWTO.  There are modules you can install that will allow
you to play online games from masqed machines.  You can get the HOWTO from
www.linux.org (among many other places).  Click on the support button.  Hopes
this helps.  Email me if you need more help.

Kevin

unreal tournament and linux firewall

Post by thegreenco » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You must not only accept the packets through the firewall.. but forward them
to the correct masqed computer. `man ipmasqadm` for more information.

~thegreencow

> Kevin,
> I am trying to run unreal from one of the windows machines behind the
> gateway. My gateway is just a pentium 90 ( I don't run anythin on it)
> Without the firewall it runs fine....Once the firewall is up .....the
> game will not run.

> for
> are
> the
> using
> stops
> for

> > > I add the following lines to my firewall to get UT to work:

> > > # Unreal Tournament (7777)
> > > # -----------------

> > > # Unreal Game Sites

> > > ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp \
> > > -s $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS \
> > > -d $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 -j ACCEPT

> > > ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p udp \
> > > -s $ANYWHERE 7776:7778 \
> > > -d $IPADDR $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

> > > UT uses the UDP protocal and servers operate on ports 7776 and 7777
> (maybe
> > > more but these cover most of them), the master server is contacted
> from
> > > port 7778. This is my best guess anyway.
> > > Bottom line this works for me. This might not be the best way
> either.

> > I think this will only work on the firewall machine. To run UT on the
> masq
> > machine is something else.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. unreal tournament and linux firewall

I have configured a linux machine to be my gateway to the internet for
my windows network and have install a firewall from:
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
my problem is I cannot get unreal tournament to work through the
firewall. I understand I have to open ports....and I believe they are
UDP 2000-2009. I am not trying to run an unreal server just play the
game over the internet. It works fine without the firewall. I am using
Redhat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.x with ipmasq ....any ideas. The program stops
when trying to PING the servers....I think I have the ports open for
pinging.  Please send responses to:

                        Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. KOffice vs OpenOffice vs MS Office

3. Howto punch unreal tournament through firewall?

4. Newbie Question

5. allowing unreal tournament through openbsd firewall

6. where to put setserial for bootup?? ? ?

7. Unreal Tournament in Linux

8. Logitech Itouch Keyboard

9. Linux, DRI, And Unreal Tournament

10. Unreal Tournament Linux Version