ssh X troubles - Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate

Post by Kevi » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:26:57

ssh and X have been working nicely for me for a quite a while.
But, yesterday during a service call on a workstation at one end
of the ssh X tunnel the machine had to be shutdown without
exiting ssh nor the X applications running remotely.  Since that
time, machines at both ends of the ssh tunnel have been rebooted.

The problem is, when I try to run a remote X app, like so:

    ssh -C -l myusername hostname xterm

I get this error message:

    Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate...
    The following connections are open:
      #1 X11 connection from 123.456.789.87 port 33959 (t4 r0 i4/0 o16/0 fd 5/5)

I guess that makes sense, since things shut down abruptly at one
point.

How can I clear ssh's memory so that it quits waiting for the
connection to terminate?

Thanks...

Post by Kasper Dupon » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:08:14

> ssh and X have been working nicely for me for a quite a while.
> But, yesterday during a service call on a workstation at one end
> of the ssh X tunnel the machine had to be shutdown without
> exiting ssh nor the X applications running remotely.  Since that
> time, machines at both ends of the ssh tunnel have been rebooted.

> The problem is, when I try to run a remote X app, like so:

>     ssh -C -l myusername hostname xterm

> I get this error message:

>     Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate...
>     The following connections are open:
>       #1 X11 connection from 123.456.789.87 port 33959 (t4 r0 i4/0 o16/0 fd 5/5)

> I guess that makes sense, since things shut down abruptly at one
> point.

> How can I clear ssh's memory so that it quits waiting for the
> connection to terminate?

If ssh terminated without waiting for the connection to close
your xterm would die. In the above commandline you probably
want to add the -f option which makes ssh go in the background.

--
Kasper Dupont

ssh X troubles - Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate

Post by Kevi » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:26:54

Quote:> If ssh terminated without waiting for the connection to close
> your xterm would die.

    If nothing else, the xterm wouldn't survive the reboot.

Quote:> In the [ssh -C -l myusername hostname xterm] commandline you
> probably want to add the -f option which makes ssh go in the
> background.

    OK, but how does this affect the X11 connection forwarding.
    Excuse me for being dense on this.

    Thanks....