New network intrusion detection system for Linux (GPL)

New network intrusion detection system for Linux (GPL)

Post by Gianni Tedesc » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 05:44:58

Hi,

This is perhaps a bit OT, or blatent p1mp4ge....

Just to let you know about a new NIDS for Linux, its called firestorm,
you can check it out at http://www.scaramanga.co.uk/firestorm/index.html.
It boasts a very flexible plugin-based architecture and is pretty similar
to snort in terms of functionality (some things it does better, a few
things it doesn't do). The latest version is 0.1.6.

Significant features:
* Multi-threaded capture from libpcap live capture, tcpdump files, and
linux firewall netlink (ala fwmon).
* Plugin-based architecture
* Snort ruleset support
* Efficient, small codebase (~5,000 lines of C)

Anyway, you can read the docs for yourselves if you're interested ;)

I'm basically looking for comments, opinions and of course people to help
testing/writing/documenting it.

Thanks.

--

Zwei erdnusse gingen hinunter die strasse.
Man wurde angegriffen... erdnuss

1. new Project : Intrusion Detection System

we are working on a graduation project titled
"neural network based intrusion detection system"

we are basicly trying to create a system with human like skills for pattern
recognition , to supplement the widely available "rule-based IDS"
we will probably be building a hybrid between network based and host based
IDS, and we will be training our network to detect patterns that may seem
malicious or suspicious

I would really appreciate any help in pointing me to links, articles, or
previous projects
that could be relevant to our topic

also I would welcome any feedback from anybody who is interested in such a
project.

--
Best Regards
Hussam Mousa

2. Newbie: Tomcat and Apache

3. adaptec 2902

4. System intrusion detection, primarily on linux servers with a handful of others

5. ColdFire MCF548x and CodeWarrior

6. New kind of security tool for Intrusion Detection

7. Replace TAB with proper spaces ??

8. New Article in the Intrusion Detection Focus Area: Analyzing IDS Data

9. Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction

10. SPECTER Intrusion Detection System

11. Network Intrusion Detection