start X11-jobs in background without X11-login

start X11-jobs in background without X11-login

Post by Hank » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:36:22

We have several X11-tools that works in background. Now we want to
do this automatically (only switch on the power) without manual login.

Please help us.

Jens

start X11-jobs in background without X11-login

Post by JJ » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:11:10

Load Xvfb or Xvnc which give you a virtual X desktop - you can then run any
X11 program on a headless box even.

Xvfb comes with XFree 4 - all you have to do is:

Xvfb
export DISPLAY=:0 (or whatever)
<start your X programs>

HTH,

JJK

>We have several X11-tools that works in background. Now we want to
>do this automatically (only switch on the power) without manual login.

---------------------------
JJK / Jan Just Keijser
Unix/Linux Systems Engineer

flames > /dev/null 2>&1
---------------------------

1. Upgrading to 4.6.2...X11 config in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 or /etc/X11?

During the next week, I plan to upgrade my machine to 4.6.2.  When I
installed the installation of X11 that I have now, I built it from
source with the ports tree, and it put the config files in the normal
location /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.
        However, I'm aware that in the past, FreeBSD has packaged the
X configs to go into /etc/X11, and I also remember that back when I was
running 4.4 on a different machine, the port asked you before the build
which of the two locations you'd like your X configs to go to.
        What I'm wondering is this:  If I do the upgrade, and have it
upgrade my X-Window installation, is it going to be smart enough to see
which place to look for my configuration?  I like freedom of choice with
things like this, but I hope the package tools are keeping all this
freedom in mind at upgrade time.

Anybody done the upgrade already on a machine with the configs in /usr?

--
|-+{ Brent A. Busby  } +-|  "Elstree...? Remember me? I had a part in |

|-+  Normal, IL  (USA) |-|   history. Look at me. Now I work for the  |
|-*  FreeBSD UNIX 4.5  *-|   BBC.   Life is not what it used to be."  |

2. fdisk /dev/hda2 ... Oops

3. HOW TO CHANGE BACKGROUND ON X11 LOGIN SCREEN?

4. prinitng a man page

5. Q: How to start X11 applications on remote machines on login?

6. this is so strange

7. X11 R6 C++ program on a X11 R5 machine?

8. Accessing "hidden" data structures

9. no x11-server but x11-clients

10. .X11-pipe/.X11-unix permissions and vnc/lbxproxy

11. X11 error: execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

12. Two minor issues: mouse (not X11), display (X11).

13. X11 - help with description of X11 and tools