Secure FTP server

Secure FTP server

Post by Oleg Letsinsk » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:39:09



Hi folks

Although I know that FTP is inherently insecure, I've got to setup an
FTP site to upload content to WWW server (thousands of files).
What is the most secure way/software to do this task? Please also
consider that content authors are not very tech literate and most
of them are using Windows. I know about ftp login over ssh, but for
most of them even that way will be too hard :-/

So here come the requirements:
1) Login must be secured. Content is not that sensitive, only login
information is.
2) There should be an easy way to connect to the server from Windows
machines and upload the content.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

--
"A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple
system that worked."
-- John Gall, _Systemantics_

 
 
 

Secure FTP server

Post by Arild Jense » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:20:37



Quote:> Hi folks

> Although I know that FTP is inherently insecure, I've got to setup an
> FTP site to upload content to WWW server (thousands of files).
> What is the most secure way/software to do this task? Please also
> consider that content authors are not very tech literate and most
> of them are using Windows. I know about ftp login over ssh, but for
> most of them even that way will be too hard :-/

> So here come the requirements:
> 1) Login must be secured. Content is not that sensitive, only login
> information is.
> 2) There should be an easy way to connect to the server from Windows
> machines and upload the content.

> What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

What about an SCP client for Windows? Since you have to encrypt the login, I
mean. Take a look at http://www.freessh.org.

My $2*10-2.

-Arild Jensen

 
 
 

Secure FTP server

Post by Marc Johnso » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:57:26





>> Hi folks

>> Although I know that FTP is inherently insecure, I've got to setup an
>> FTP site to upload content to WWW server (thousands of files).
>> What is the most secure way/software to do this task? Please also
>> consider that content authors are not very tech literate and most
>> of them are using Windows. I know about ftp login over ssh, but for
>> most of them even that way will be too hard :-/

>> So here come the requirements:
>> 1) Login must be secured. Content is not that sensitive, only login
>> information is.
>> 2) There should be an easy way to connect to the server from Windows
>> machines and upload the content.

>> What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
> What about an SCP client for Windows? Since you have to encrypt the login, I
> mean. Take a look at http://www.freessh.org.

Or even SecureFX for Windoze.  might be better for those more comfortable
with a very simple windoze environment.

haven't played with scp that much on windoze.

--

 
 
 

Secure FTP server

Post by Tim Hayne » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:42:26


[snip]

Quote:> > What about an SCP client for Windows? Since you have to encrypt the
> > login, I mean. Take a look at http://www.freessh.org.

> Or even SecureFX for Windoze. might be better for those more comfortable
> with a very simple windoze environment.

> haven't played with scp that much on windoze.

Using scp on windoze really requires having a better shell than cmd.exe or
command.com, that's my only worry.

While you're passing by proper solutions, how's about rsync? Exists for
windoze as well, and will tunnel stuff through ssh nicely if you want.

One word of advice to the OP: don't let a user/password across the 'net in
plaintext if it's valid for a shell login. Use hosts-based access
restrictions on whatever protocol you choose (ie FTP or ssh-based).

~Tim
--
   9:39am  up 23 days, 11:51, 11 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

http://piglet.is.dreaming.org |Direct-inject pleasure when the going gets tough

 
 
 

Secure FTP server

Post by pak » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:41:53


Have you looked at SafeTP?

Check it out at http://safetp.cs.berkeley.edu

 
 
 

Secure FTP server

Post by Ulf » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:47:13


Wow,

that was *exactly* what I was looking for. I'm most pleasantly
suppriesed on the easyness of installation on client as well as an the
server B-)

pak schrieb:

Quote:

> Have you looked at SafeTP?

> Check it out at http://safetp.cs.berkeley.edu

--
mit freundlichen Gr?en,
                        Ulf.