sendmail port 25 and 587

Post by Anonymou » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:16:04

Can people tell me if these ports(as shown by nmap) when
sendmail is running in deamon mode safe??.

Thanks

--

sendmail port 25 and 587

Post by Ashok Aiya » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:20:05

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:16:04 GMT,

Quote:

> Can people tell me if these ports(as shown by nmap) when
> sendmail is running in deamon mode safe??.

They are as safe as your sendmail installation in.  Are you running
sendmail SUID root?  Are you version a (recent) version that doesn't
have any buffer overflows?

Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar
RLU #51601

sendmail port 25 and 587

Post by Anonymou » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:26:25

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:16:04 GMT,

> > Can people tell me if these ports(as shown by nmap) when
> > sendmail is running in deamon mode safe??.

> They are as safe as your sendmail installation in.  Are you running
> sendmail SUID root?  Are you version a (recent) version that doesn't
> have any buffer overflows?

Version 8.12.3  not as root but as user.

Thanks

Quote: