HELP !!! Need help for VIRUS scan !!!

Post by Joerg Bod » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

We have a FILE and MAIL server running Debian Linux.

Now we need a programm/tool with scans our incomming mail an our
Filserver (and cleans/repairs it if there is a virus on it) !!!

J?rg Bode

Post by Rainer Lin » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> We have a FILE and MAIL server running Debian Linux.

> Now we need a programm/tool with scans our incomming mail an our
> Filserver (and cleans/repairs it if there is a virus on it) !!!

Well, for antivirus software for Linux please have a look at
http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/security/av-list.htm

Currently, only a text file is translated to English, so the english
speaking community may please
look for http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/security/av-linux_e.txt
(there is also a link to that file from the mentioned html-file above).
Im sorry, I had not the time for the translation of the html-page (any
volunteers ?!? :-))).

Well, for your mail server you should take a look at AMaVIS (A Mail
Virus Scanner), which is available from http://www.aachalon.de/AMaVIS/
(in english, of course :-). It is currently maintained by Christian
Bricart. But it does not scan outgoing mail. Maybe you can use some
smtp-wrappers (e.g. from the Free FireWall Toolkit) for this (any
hints?). As far as I know, there is no commercial tool. I only know,
that Trend Micro is thinking about to port InterScan VirusWall from Sun
Solaris to Linux. It will be released at Q3/199 (according to
CEO/Technical Director of Trend Micro Germany, at CeBIT99).

For your file server, I currently do not know any exisiting tool. We
discussed some methods with/for SAMBA. Maybe there is a possibility to
write a daemon, which logs (or even intercepts?) any file access. For
Win NT, there are several commercial software solutions, which run as a
NT-service and provide a real-time, on-acces virus protection. I do not
know any similar approach for Linux environments. Any hints/tips would
be appreciated :-)

Well, is there really a need for virus protection in Linux environments?
I think so, because many companies use Linux only at the server side,
client-side they use windows. And imho, clint-side virus protection is
not enough (i.e. stopping an infected e-Mail attachment on the mail
server is better than passing it to the clients and then get hunderts of
alerts from the client av-scanner).

Btw, I dont think, that automatic cleaning is a good idea. E.g., if it
is a new variant, cleaning could fail (and you therefor have no sample
to send to an av research team to improve their product) or only for
forensic purposes. Moving it to a an "quarantine directory" would/could
be better.

I apologize for any misspellings, because english is not my native
language.

cu, Rainer
--
Rainer Link, Grosshausberg 2, flat 02-03-02, 78120 Furtwangen

Student of Communication Engineering, University of Applied Sciences,
Furtwangen, Germany, http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/

HELP !!! Need help for VIRUS scan !!!

Post by Rainer Lin » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Uups, the URLs are wrong, sorry.

Quote:> Well, for antivirus software for Linux please have a look at

http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/~link/security/av-list.htm

look for http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/~link/security/av-linux_e.txt

cu, Rainer
--
Rainer Link, Grosshausberg 2, flat 02-03-02, 78120 Furtwangen

Student of Communication Engineering, University of Applied Sciences,
Furtwangen, Germany, http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/

1. Need virus scanning for FreeBSD w/Sendmail 8.12 and Postfix

Anyone can point me to some good antivirus for FreeBSD for a
Sendmail server 8.12 and Postfix? What is the best virus scanner
for FreeBSD?

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

2. gcc2.7.2.1 conflicting with patches?

3. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

4. : Red Hat v2.1 vs Slackware v3.0 -- which one?

5. Need Help with ATI Ultra Pro and Crystal Scan 1024NI

6. 3rd HD and serial NFS ?'s

7. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

8. Mous compatibility between ps/2 and imps/2

9. Need scanning help

10. Configuration help for fixed-scan monitor needed

11. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE