1. Please help with this problem, we have totally run out of ideas ...
We have been having lots of terminal problems with a customers
machine. The machine spec is as follows :-
Standard no-name ISA PC architecture,
Specialix SI with 24 ports (3 TA banks of 8) using Int 12 and mem
Adaptec 1542CF SCSI interface card using Int 11 and mem address CC000
Connor 1GB SCSI HD at SCSI ID 0.
Archive Viper Tape Streamer at SCSI ID 2.
Most terminals are PROCOMM for Windows and a few old Altos 4's.
The only software being used is Dataflex 2.3b and a fax package called
What is happening is that a terminal will "lock". The processes
running on the port cannot be killed. During this, any user already
logged in can use the system as normal (and at normal speed). But no
other user can log in. They are prevented by the system never
processing the login, it always times-out. At this point the system
must be shut down to recover.
This is where is get really bad. Even though the system is shut down
properly (ie using "shutdown" with all users logged out) the system
has big problems with the harddisk, always finding problems during the
file system check.
What we have done so far to try to fix this is as follows :-
First we thought that there was a memory conflict between the Adaptec
SCSI and the Specialix SI. Originally we had them installed at mem
addresses D8000 and D0000 repectively. We then changed them to D8000
and C8000 repectively. We now have them as CC000 and D0000 as stated
We have also changed just about all of the hardware at one time or
another. This includes two Hard Discs, two system psu's, three
Specialix cards, two SCSI cards (one a 1542CP), two multi IO cards,
two VGA cards. The only pieces of hardware we haven't changed yet are
the RAM and 16 of the 24 ports (We have swapped 1 TA).
I have spoken to Specialix about this problem they could only suggest
memory locations. It was at their request that we moved the Specialix
back to its default location at D0000.
The terminal that locks first always seems to be running VSI-FAX at
We have virtually run out of ideas and have all but lost customer
confidence, can anyone shed any light on any of the above !!!!
Thanks in advance,
2. Need help on how much privilege to assign
3. Totally new to networking...(Long, please help)
4. VFAT Mounting as read only for non-root users?
5. Please Help totally lost.
6. HELP!! __assert_fail undefined reference...
7. Totally new, totally lost in RedHat
8. How to setup solaris 9 x86 in dell laptop?
9. File system crash..PLEASE PLEASE HELP
10. HELP HELP HELP -Totally screwed ?
11. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help
12. Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!
13. NFS please help me please please please sniff