Public library computer

Post by dudo » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 05:44:51

I want to set up a few PC's 486 in a browser-PC which will only have Linux
kernel, X and Netscape on it for public use in library.
Do you know some good resources (howto's) for me?
Which X to use on 8MB of RAM?
If you have specific isue on SuSE ...?
Thanks

Public library computer

Post by Andreas Moh » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 08:06:16

> I want to set up a few PC's 486 in a browser-PC which will only have Linux
> kernel, X and Netscape on it for public use in library.
> Do you know some good resources (howto's) for me?
> Which X to use on 8MB of RAM?
> If you have specific isue on SuSE ...?
> Thanks

Now that's a coincidence...

We just started this thread in schule.schueler.linux :)

Instructions for setting up a public browser system are at
http://www.guenthernoack.de/pures_x.html

(WARNING ! confusing German ahead !! :)

This page is *exactly* what you need.

Good luck,

Andreas Mohr

Public library computer

Post by Proks » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 11:24:32

> I want to set up a few PC's 486 in a browser-PC which will only have
> Linux kernel, X and Netscape on it for public use in library. Do you
> know some good resources (howto's) for me? Which X to use on 8MB of RAM?
> If you have specific isue on SuSE ...? Thanks

I see no reason in using X on a 486 with 8MB of RAM. Even if you do
install X, it will run very slow.

--
ICQ - 26285128
AIM - Pr0k5Y

Public library computer

Post by Travis Case » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 11:57:53

>> I want to set up a few PC's 486 in a browser-PC which will only have
>> Linux kernel, X and Netscape on it for public use in library. Do you
>> know some good resources (howto's) for me? Which X to use on 8MB of RAM?
>> If you have specific isue on SuSE ...? Thanks

> I see no reason in using X on a 486 with 8MB of RAM. Even if you do
> install X, it will run very slow.

It won't be too terribly slow, especially if you use one of the Linux
distributions designed for low-memory machines.  I ran Linux on a 486/33
with 8 MB of memory back in the days before Linux 1.0, and ran X on it.  It
was faster than Windows 3.1 was on the same computer.

Now, you may not want to try to run KDE or any other "modern" desktop
environment, but TWM or even FVWM will run fine on it.

I'd suggest going to www.lwn.net, and looking at their "distributions" page
-- they list some that are designed for low-memory computers.  Also, you
might want to try Opera for Linux instead of Netscape -- less memory-hungry.

--

       /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   No one agrees with me.  Not even me.
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Public library computer

Post by Marcus Laue » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 16:09:25

> Now, you may not want to try to run KDE or any other "modern" desktop
> environment, but TWM or even FVWM will run fine on it.

        BlackBox and IceWM are supposed to have very low memory consumption,
and are more modern than FVWM (I assume you mean the original, not FVWM2,
which does use a fair amount of memory).

                                                           Marcus

1. Authentication of Public Access Computer Rooms?

I don't know which newsgroup (of all you crossposted to) you're
coming from, so I'm leaving the crossposts in for now.  FYI, I'm
in comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security.

We (University of Texas at Dallas) have struggled with the same
issues.  At the present time, we have a Novell 4.1 network
serving Win 3.x machines.  We use Saber Lan Workstation:
http://www.mcafee.com/prod/netmgt/saber.html
to administer the network and it works fine.

The student must log in to the network before they have access to
any apps (DOS or WIN), because Win 3.x is dl'd from the network
each time they login, and Saber also allows us to control desktop
access to specific apps based on login ID and user group.  We are
alpha testers for Saber and have just received the NT version,
but have not yet begun testing on it.

For login access control, we use:
http://www.netoria.com/products/sflogin.htm
(we're alpha testers for them too) but they do not yet have an NT
version released.

Both these products have worked real well for us, but we're in
the testing stage of implementing a small NT network and we only
have an alpha version of Saber for that (which we haven't even
installed yet) so I can't tell you specifically how well it will
work under NT.

Students who access Unix resources from the PC LAN machines are
required to log in to the appropriate server by Unix (separately
from the PC LAN login.)

Account creation is done through a VB program we wrote which
generates three databases; one for PC, one for Unix and one for
Infoserv (a Unix based menu program which allows them to check
mail, access library resources and telnet to other schools in the
UT system.)  We have a server which is dedicated to import/export
of the databases from/to Unix/PC side.  Then these databases are
converted to the proper format and the file is executed to create
the login ID and password files for each new account.

I would imagine something similar can be done with NT (I
certainly hope so <g>), but we've just begun the process so I
can't give you any details or the reassurance that it works.

We don't enforce password consistency cross platform.  Each
platform password is independent of the others.  We do expire
passwords every 120 days, so the students (+/- 10,000) get used
to changing passwords periodically.

Paul Schmehl
Lab Manager
UT Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
Please note: Reply to: is set to foil auto ads.

"Your attitude determines your altitude"

2. Getting error 0x10 while booting, please help

3. Computer for Internet public access.

4. mini-linux how to: poruguese to u.s. keyboard

5. Public domain java network computer

6. Reading the serial port

7. Computer for Internet public access.

8. Installation Q's

9. running samba share on public accessible computer a good idea?

10. Computer for Internet public access.

11. Assigning public IPs to computers behind the router.

12. Desktop Protection Public Access Computers

13. Q: GNU Library General Public License