Compile vs Rpm

Post by Bryan Packe » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:08:17

Sorry if this is a tad off topic, but it is for my firewall soooo...

Tried applying the RPM for the latest Bind 9 and it errored with a
message about failed dependencies for libcrypto.so.2. If I apply the
rpm for openssl in which that file exists it looks like its going to
break a bunch other programs which depend on libcrypto.so.1 . If you
compile from source will it build the binaries using the libraries
that are currently on the machine, thereby getting me around this? Or
is the right answer to start systematically updating all those other
programs so I can use libcrypto.so.2?

thanks
bryan

--
If Bill Gates had a dollar for every windows machine that's
crashed... oh wait, he does.

Compile vs Rpm

Post by Manfred Bart » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:44:01

> Tried applying the RPM for the latest Bind 9 ...

Consider djbdns.

Quote:> and it errored with a message about failed dependencies for
> libcrypto.so.2. If I apply the rpm for openssl in which that file
> exists it looks like its going to break a bunch other programs which
> depend on libcrypto.so.1 .
> If you compile from source will it build the binaries using the
> libraries that are currently on the machine,

Yes.

Quote:> Or is the right answer to start systematically updating
> all those other programs so I can use libcrypto.so.2?

There should be no problem having both, libcrypto.so.1 as well
as libcrypto.so.2

--
Manfred
NetfilterLogAnalyzer, NetCalc, whois at: <http://logi.cc/linux/>

Compile vs Rpm

Post by Bryan Packe » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:52:15

> Consider djbdns.

How compatible are the zone and files between Bind and djbdns? Do I
have to rewrite them or will they port over? I went to the website
and they look pretty different.

Quote:> > Or is the right answer to start systematically updating
> > all those other programs so I can use libcrypto.so.2?

> There should be no problem having both, libcrypto.so.1 as well
> as libcrypto.so.2

How would one safely go about doing that? Is the rpm for
openssl-0.9.6a-4 going to leave the older libcrypto.so.1 files alone?
Safer to just compile the openssl from source? I notice that both
libcrypto.so and libcrypto.so.1 are actually just symlinks to
libcrypto.so.0.9.6 .

Thanks,
bryan

--
If Bill Gates had a dollar for every windows machine that crashed...
oh wait, he does.

Compile vs Rpm

Post by Greg Owe » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:55:50

> How compatible are the zone and files between Bind and djbdns? Do I
> have to rewrite them or will they port over? I went to the website
> and they look pretty different.

        You can run the axfr-get program to do a zone transfer from a
Bind server and output the results in tinydns format.  It is usually
beneficial to check the output because things are sometimes
sub-optimally translated, but at worse you still end up with an
equivalent config (djbdns configuration just optomizes in ways that
Bind doesn't).

        djbdns is definitely worth the time it takes to wrap your mind
around the different way it works.

--

Compile vs Rpm

Post by Manfred Bart » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:14:09

> > Consider djbdns.

> How compatible are the zone and files between Bind and djbdns? Do I
> have to rewrite them or will they port over? I went to the website
> and they look pretty different.

axfr-get as Greg Owen suggested.

For a production environment you'd best set up djbdns on a spare host
and get familiar with it first and test it, compare it.

I found that DNS became an order of magnitude easier once I got the
hang of djbdns.  DNS is not difficult, only bind is.

Quote:> > > Or is the right answer to start systematically updating
> > > all those other programs so I can use libcrypto.so.2?

> > There should be no problem having both, libcrypto.so.1 as well
> > as libcrypto.so.2

> How would one safely go about doing that? Is the rpm for
> openssl-0.9.6a-4 going to leave the older libcrypto.so.1 files alone?
> Safer to just compile the openssl from source? I notice that both
> libcrypto.so and libcrypto.so.1 are actually just symlinks to
> libcrypto.so.0.9.6 .

I am not sure how safe that is on redhat.  If you use ``ldd'' on
the program in question you will see which libraries it references,
it may be ``libcrypto.so.0.9.6'' rather than one of the symlinks.

Before you do a make install, you could do ``make -n install'' to
see what would happen.  Copy the originals to a safe place so you
can restore them, then proceed and test.

FWIW, at least one of my systems has:
           18 Dec 23 17:54 libcrypto.so.0 -> libcrypto.so.0.9.4
       685228 Mar 12  2000 libcrypto.so.0.9.4
           17 Mar 10  2000 libcrypto.so.08 -> libcrypto.so.08.1
       404248 Oct  7  1999 libcrypto.so.08.1

--

Post by Bryan Packe » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:06:01

> axfr-get as Greg Owen suggested.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Quote:> For a production environment you'd best set up djbdns on a spare host
> and get familiar with it first and test it, compare it.

Yeah, I went to the web site and looked around for a while. It looks
sufficiently different that I don't think I want to change both
production servers at once. How well does a djbdns server get along
with a regular Bind server? I'm thinking of keeping my primary name
server on Bind for now, then convert my backup to djbdns so I can get
used to it. Will a djbdns slave accept automatic zone file updates
from a Bind 9 master, or is the axfer-get just a manual update
method?

Quote:> Before you do a make install, you could do ``make -n install'' to
> see what would happen.  Copy the originals to a safe place so you
> can restore them, then proceed and test.

thanks. didn't know about the make -n install option.

bryan

--

Post by Manfred Bart » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:03:24

> > For a production environment you'd best set up djbdns on a spare
> > host and get familiar with it first and test it, compare it.
> Yeah, I went to the web site and looked around for a while. It looks
> sufficiently different that I don't think I want to change both
> production servers at once. How well does a djbdns server get along
> with a regular Bind server? I'm thinking of keeping my primary name
> server on Bind for now, then convert my backup to djbdns so I can
> get used to it.
> Will a djbdns slave accept automatic zone file updates from a Bind 9
> master, ...

Go to <http://www.djbdns.org/> which is the djbdns user website.
Look under ``Contributions'', first item.

axfr-get should work by itself (f.e. in a cron job).  You can
also arrange something along the suggestion in
        <http://cr.yp.to/dnsroot.html>.

AFAIK the recommended arrangement for zone transfers is to use
rsync with ssh.

Also a good idea to join the mailing list, send an empty email to:

Cheers
--

Post by Bryan Packe » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:27:06

> Go to <http://www.djbdns.org/> which is the djbdns user website.
> Look under ``Contributions'', first item.

> axfr-get should work by itself (f.e. in a cron job).  You can
> also arrange something along the suggestion in
>         <http://cr.yp.to/dnsroot.html>.

> AFAIK the recommended arrangement for zone transfers is to use
> rsync with ssh.

> Also a good idea to join the mailing list, send an empty email to:

Thanks, that ought to keep me busy for a while... :)

bryan

--
If Bill Gates had a dollar for every windows machine that crashed...
oh wait, he does.

1. compiling vs. rpms vs. both

Being faily new to linux I like the simplistic spproach to installations
that rpms offer, but as I do more and more, perhaps learning a bit here
and there, I've found that quite often it seems that the rpms don't
quite do everything that compiling the tarballs do.  Is this a correct
observation?  If so, would it be a correct assumption that the rpms and
tarballs put the files in the same spot?  And, making this assumption,
in an effort for completeness as well as simplicity, would installing a
package and then compiling the same tarball be the way to go?  I've done
this last for things like gtk as I've run into the problem where a
program demands a version for which I have the rpms installed, but for
which everything doesn't appear to be there for the program to compile
successfully.  Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

Nathan

2. nv, XFree86-4.2.1 and Dell 8200 (on FreeBSD 5)

3. Compiling Python Imaging .src.rpm (was compiling .src.rpms)

4. fvwm on ultrix

5. Linux i386 RPMs vs. compiled sources

6. directive

7. RedHat 8 RPM vs. Compiling Source

8. win98, redhat linux 7.1 dual boot system , fdisk

9. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

10. *.rpm VS *.src.rpm

11. src.rpm vs rpm

12. rpm vs. dpkg (was: Re: Future of Linux (a flame about RPM/GLINT)???)

13. suse rpm's vs. RH rpm's