/var/log/secure logs telnet connects but not logins?

/var/log/secure logs telnet connects but not logins?

Post by anon » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm running Red Hat 5.2 and have been checking my /var/log/secure files.

There are several "connect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" messages but no messages
saying whom has logged on, including my own logins.

How can I activate logging of successful logins?

Post by s.. » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> How can I activate logging of successful logins?

Edit /etc/login.defs.

--
Steve Zinck

http://www.nerd.halifax.ns.ca
remove the 'X' to reply via email

Post by John Solto » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > How can I activate logging of successful logins?

> Edit /etc/login.defs.

> --
> Steve Zinck

> http://www.nerd.halifax.ns.ca
> remove the 'X' to reply via email

    Just took a look at the file and didn't see any comments that
explained how to do that.  nothing in the HOWTOs or other doc files.
Can you point me to some documentation that would help here?

    Thanks,
    John Soltow

Post by Ben Slus » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> How can I activate logging of successful logins?

>Edit /etc/login.defs.

Er... no. Not even close.

Edit your /etc/syslog.conf. You should see a line that says
        authpriv.*              /var/log/secure
Change that to
        auth,authpriv.*         /var/log/secure

Then read the syslog.conf(5) man page to find out what you just did.

HTH,
-
-Ben

--
Ben Slusky                | Ain't nothing gonna change

"will program for food"         | and I'm just gonna stay here
PGP keyID E2C2D949        | and always be the same  -Limp Bizkit

Post by s.. » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>     Just took a look at the file and didn't see any comments that
> explained how to do that.  nothing in the HOWTOs or other doc files.
> Can you point me to some documentation that would help here?

In /etc/login.defs:

# Enable logging of successful logins
#
LOG_OK_LOGINS           yes

Quote:>     Thanks,

--
Steve Zinck

http://www.nerd.halifax.ns.ca
remove the 'X' to reply via email

/var/log/secure logs telnet connects but not logins?

Post by Alan Bardsle » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I feel much safer now. (Okay, so it's a false sense of security.)

Thanks for your help.