Security

Post by steve belo » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:31:09

Hello All,
When it comes to Networks and Internet setups I am considered the rookie of
rookies. I am currently running Caldera flavored Linux at home. I have
noticed some intrusions on my system with the default firewall setups and
such. I plugged a couple of holes so far. I have a huge book on security and
all that stuff but impatience sometimes gets the best of me, and I find
myself falling asleep with allot of the in-between jargon that make up a
large percentage. So my question is this! Can someone give me a list of
possible vulnerability issues to study on? Then I can find what I need in
these books and ignore the stories.
Thanks to all your help in advance. Steve

Security

Post by <b.. » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:07:46

Hi,

> Hello All,
> When it comes to Networks and Internet setups I am considered the rookie of
> rookies. I am currently running Caldera flavored Linux at home. I have
> noticed some intrusions on my system with the default firewall setups and
> such. I plugged a couple of holes so far. I have a huge book on security and
> all that stuff but impatience sometimes gets the best of me, and I find
> myself falling asleep with allot of the in-between jargon that make up a
> large percentage. So my question is this! Can someone give me a list of
> possible vulnerability issues to study on? Then I can find what I need in
> these books and ignore the stories.
> Thanks to all your help in advance. Steve

I am afraid there is no easy way into network/host security. IMHO it would be
quite some mistake to believe one could secure a system just by following
some easy-to-implement security recipes. The proper way would be to
learn a thing or two about tcp/ip networking, network administration and
secure configuration of your services on your Linux box. Read your huge
book on security thoroughly, and maybe take a look at some of the better
security ressources on www.securityfocus.com, www.securityportal.com or
www.infosyssec.org/infosyssec/linux1.htm, and follow the security advisories
of your distributor on www.caldera.com/support/security/ .

Bolo