Virusscanning using procmail as mda

Post by Thomas Jac » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello!

I'm currently looking for a solution for linux to check my inbound
mails.
I use fetchmail to get all my mails from my provider and then sort it
via the mda-feature and procmail into a cyrus-imap server! So there is
no interaction with sendmail at this stage! So is there any know
sollution for scanning incomming mails, without using sendmail, or can
some tell me how to sort incoming mails into my imap-server without
using the mda-feature of fetchmail and get a normal virus-scanner
working (such as inflex or amavis ) ??? I'm really confused at thi
stage... i don't know what to try else and i cant believe, that nowone
who is running a imap-server does no incoming virus-mail checking

Thank you all for an answer!

Thomas Jach

--

Post by Bruno Wolff I » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Hello!

>I'm currently looking for a solution for linux to check my inbound
>mails.

If this is for your personal use, you can probably get by without a virus
scanner. Don't use Outlook and be very selective about what stuff you run
that other people send you.

Virus scanning is expensive in time and money and people who are careful
are probably better off without it. In the long run virus scanners are
going to lose anyway. Viruses are already spreading so fast that you have
a significant chance to get exposed to a virus before you get an update
for your virus scanner that will detect it. Virus writers are now trying
to do some simple things to make virus scanning harder. You can expect
real efforts along this line to happen soon.

Virusscanning using procmail as mda

Post by Tim Hayn » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> If this is for your personal use, you can probably get by without a virus
> scanner. Don't use Outlook and be very selective about what stuff you run
> that other people send you.

> Virus scanning is expensive in time and money and people who are careful
> are probably better off without it. In the long run virus scanners are
> going to lose anyway. Viruses are already spreading so fast that you have
> a significant chance to get exposed to a virus before you get an update
> for your virus scanner that will detect it. Virus writers are now trying
> to do some simple things to make virus scanning harder. You can expect
> real efforts along this line to happen soon.

What might be useful is looking around on e.g. http://freshmeat.net/ for
mail filtering stuff so you can move mail containing MIME attachments,
especially of .vbs files, into a secondary lesser-used account for sanity
checking. That way you get round the "it's only my machine... oh pants,
it's nuked all *my* files" problem.

~Tim
--
| Geek Code: GCS dpu s-:+ a-- C++++ UBLUAVHSC++++ P+++ L++ E--- W+++(--) N++
| w--- O- M-- V-- PS PGP++ t--- X+(-) b D+ G e++(*) h++(*) r--- y-
| So shine on, harvest moon,               | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org/

1. Procmail for fetchmail and local MDA

I am using RedHat Linux 5.0, which uses procmail as the local delivery
agent. I am getting mail from my ISP using fetchmail with procmail as
the delivery agent. Basically I want to set up a few rules to sort
mail amongst some users on the Linux system. Any message that dosn't
fit those rules gets passed to root.

However if I create a .procmailrc file in /root for when I pickup mail
the same .procmailrc file will be used for the local delivery and the
mail gets stuck in a never ending loop.

What is the best solution?

Should I create an account that picks up mail from my ISP and has the
specific .procmailrc file in its home directory, and would that solve
the problem?

Should I not use procmail for local delivery?

Why is procmail set up for local delivery?

Thanks for any help,

Justin.

2. How is the Executor Macintosh emulator ?

3. Procmail as MDA on Solaris 7

4. Metadettach

5. using ghostscript with MDA?

6. iBCS - Loading Failed. Anyone sorted this ??

7. SCO Openserver 5.0 on dual or quad Penitum or Pentium Pro200...

8. Boot w/ MDA, X uses VGA?

9. Using Procmail

10. Using fetchmail/procmail with Outlook Express

11. Using procmail to give multiple accounts.

12. Using procmail to set up an autoresponder - problems?