http virus scanning for linux

Post by Yan Seine » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:46:28

I have squid up and running.  I have a decent firewall.  I have email
virus checking.

I still got hit really badly today with a virus.  5 workstations down
because the users insisted on running MS Outlook Exasperation (ARGHHHH!)

As near as I can find, someone downloaded the virus from hotmail or
yahoo.

Is there an http virus scanner for linux?  I've looked at viralator, but
it seems to be a little simple for what I need, though I could hack on it
for a while....  And maybe improve it, maybe break it.

Any others out there?

I've done the search on google, and all it tells me is stuff in early
development, or beta.

--Yan

http virus scanning for linux

Post by Joe » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:09:36

I've never looked into it well, but:

http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Maybe? Not sure if it does what you want, but it may be worth a look since
they do programs for both Win and Linux.

Later,
Joe
----------------------
Life really IS like a box of chocolates.
Unfortunately it's those little turd-shaped chocolates
you can get at joke shops.
----------------------

http virus scanning for linux

Post by Soren Juul Molle » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:27:50

Quote:> Is there an http virus scanner for linux?  I've looked at viralator, but
> it seems to be a little simple for what I need, though I could hack on it
> for a while....  And maybe improve it, maybe break it.

Try have a look at Trend Micro VirusWall. But it's not free...
http://www.antivirus.com/

http virus scanning for linux

Post by bored by T » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 07:32:31

Probably not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd chime in
anyway...

I find the problem is generally the newest virii and not the old ones, so
I recommend having something like what we have. McAfee runs automatically
once a week on a scheduler for each machine as well as its ActiveShield
thing.

Then I have virusNotification (er, I'm the maintainer) that runs nightly
and checks the McAfee site for changes in the virDat files and downloads
a changed version and notifies you by mail if there is a new one.
http://www.wakatara.com/virdat/ if you are interested in the file.

Then I have a script which updates the machines logging into the server
to update their virdat (net logon) when they log in.

Works very well and have not had one infection since starting to run it
that way.

Just a thought...

ciao!
Daryl.

> I have squid up and running.  I have a decent firewall.  I have email
> virus checking.

> I still got hit really badly today with a virus.  5 workstations down
> because the users insisted on running MS Outlook Exasperation (ARGHHHH!)

> As near as I can find, someone downloaded the virus from hotmail or
> yahoo.

> Is there an http virus scanner for linux?  I've looked at viralator, but
> it seems to be a little simple for what I need, though I could hack on
> it for a while....  And maybe improve it, maybe break it.

> Any others out there?

> I've done the search on google, and all it tells me is stuff in early
> development, or beta.

> --Yan

1. Virus scanning mail server for BSD or Linux

Hi,

I'm running a small ISP, currently using entirely FreeBSD 3.1 servers.  We
use Sendmail 8.9.2 for mail.

We would like to add the facility for virus checking of all email that goes
in and out of our servers.  I've looked into this and found several
SMTP-based products for Windows NT, and a couple for Solaris, but I can't
find any that would run on my current FreeBSD servers.  The nearest I've
found is a product for SCO - which I believe FreeBSD can emulate - however I
dont know if this emulation would be good enough for a production server.

I'd be very surprised if there were any products that support FreeBSD
natively, but of course I can run BSDi and Linux binaries fairly easily
through emulation (and I have succesfully used binaries like this on
production servers without problems; the emulation seems excellent).

If needs be, I could even install a stand alone Linux server, e.g. if
there's a product that works under Linux but wont run (well) under
emulation.  But I really dont want to have to install a NT server for this
(I'd love to install a Sparc server running Solaris.. but couldnt justify
the cost yet)

If anyone knows of any products or solutions that would work, then I would
be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Tom

2. HELP! Upgrade probs.

3. Linux/Samba On-Access Anti-Virus Scanning

4. installation ..

5. Tools of scanning Linux Viruses

6. openwin black and white in 16bpp

7. Is there any Virus scan for linux

8. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

9. Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with sendmail?

10. linux+sendmail virus scanning

11. Samba server and virus scanning on Linux

12. Virus scanner for Linux to scan incoming email

13. Virus Scanning a Linux CDrom