magic cookie?

Post by Roge » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I connected to my linux box, using ssh, and this error poped up on my
screen for no apparent reason..

X11 connection requests different authentication protocol:
'MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1' vs. ''.

I have zero idea what this is refering to...  Is this something that I
should be concerned with??  Can anyone give me an idea of whats going on
here?  This is the first time I've seen this error message and its got
me a little freaked..

I'm using RH 6.0, on a 2.2.12 kernel, with ssh 2.0.13.

magic cookie?

Post by Michael Schmid » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

It's an X protocol authentication mechanism.
Check out
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt/tcsecurity/protocols.html#X
for Details.

Michael

> I connected to my linux box, using ssh, and this error poped up on my
> screen for no apparent reason..

> X11 connection requests different authentication protocol:
> 'MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1' vs. ''.

> I have zero idea what this is refering to...  Is this something that I
> should be concerned with??  Can anyone give me an idea of whats going on
> here?  This is the first time I've seen this error message and its got
> me a little freaked..

> I'm using RH 6.0, on a 2.2.12 kernel, with ssh 2.0.13.

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
The 'Thin Client Security Homepage':
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt/tcsecurity/
http:    www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt

phone:   +49 271 740-2332   fax:   +49 271 740-2536
mobile:  +49 173 3789349
###      Siegen - The Arctic Rain Forest        ###

1. X, Magic cookie exchange ot working.

I am having trouble geting the MIT Magic cookie exchange to work between
two of my machines.
I do not run xdm. Instead I have the following in startx
mcookie=`mcookie`
xauth add :0 . $mcookie
xauth add `hostname -f`:0 . $mcookie

I then ( via rsh) put the magic cookie into the .Xauthority file of the
second system.

xauth extract - localhost:0|rsh remotehost xauth merge -

But when I try to start up X on teh remote system, I get a
 Xlib: connection to "localhost:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:0.0

(where localhost and remotehost are replaced by their full names.)

I did a tcpdump on the connection, and the correct magic cookie does
occur in the stuff sent from the remotehost to the localhost.

Anyone know what could be going on here? Is it possible to debug X
connections? (I certainly cannot read the hex dump of the
tcpdump.)

Thanks

2. X Devolp System

3. Progress on magic cookies

4. Direct Connect Hub

5. Magic cookie does not work

6. Help on 'su'

7. xsession MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 problem

8. Newbie question

9. Xdm/xauth MIT magic cookie configuration with RedHat 6.0

10. MIT-MAGIC-COOKIES and X start problem ...

11. X security problems - "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE"

12. TekXPress and magic cookie?

13. can't make xconfig (MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1)