Cable modem crack-down

Post by Mail-Bo » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am beginning to use Phat-Linux to make the transition to a TRUE O/S from
the "comfortable old Big Blue"....

~~~QUESTION~~~
I have not gotten "TUX" to see the "outside world" yet by making the proper
configurations (boy am I trying, but that's another newsgroup)........

I am setting up LINUX partly to improve my security....

If I cannot use any functions from my ISP yet, does that mean I'M <here's
that word> SAFE ???
I understand that safety is a relative term, but put practically, can
anyone, (besides me) open ports or begin malicious activity.?
Or use my IP (I use DHCP with a 2 hour lease assigned by the MAC address of
my RF modem, so I doubt it..but .....)
I have not changed any of the default values that were included in the
distribution (yet), but being a "newbie", I don't know if the same trouble
I'm having connecting (any help would be welcome...but that's another
newsgroup (comp.os.linux.setup))
would prevent "THEM" from accessing "ME"....

Thanx a million,
Larry "no not that one, not him......"
(if I could cook up PERL, then I sure wouldn't be wasting your time...)

PEACE

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Red Hat 7.0 Boot Problems with System Commander 2000

3. Cable Modems have been cracked!

4. Editing xinitrc & menu items

5. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

6. Problem with XFree86 and Matrox Millenium. HELP

7. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

8. Setting up Modem on SUN

9. Cox Cable installing a cable modem

10. Anyone using Cable TV Montgomery cable modems?

11. problem with nat in kernel-2.16.22 on cable modem (i-cable)

12. Yet another cable modem setup question :( (Philadelphia area Suburban Cable)

13. linux setup for cable modem service by Cable TV Montgomery/ExpressNet