Stateful and Stateless Intrusion Detection System

Stateful and Stateless Intrusion Detection System

Post by dannyqche » Tue, 08 May 2001 08:41:21

Do you know what is the stateful intrusion detection system and what is the
stateless intrusion detection system? Is there any reference for them?

Danny Q. Chen
Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University
Tel: (H) 480-829-8492; (O) 480-965-7259

Stateful and Stateless Intrusion Detection System

Post by Steve Co » Tue, 08 May 2001 10:25:34

Quote:> Do you know what is the stateful intrusion detection system and what is
> the stateless intrusion detection system? Is there any reference for
> them? Thanks,

Well, I'm not sure for these terms wrt intrusion detection but in terms
of firewalls and packet filtering, stateful means that it is aware of the
'state' of the conection - usually by maintaining connection tables - eg.
it 'knows' to expect an inbound FTP data connection request from a
remote FTP server that has just been sent the appropriate FTP control
request. Stateless just determines how to handle a packet based upon that
packet and that packet alone.

Steve

Post by Vilmos Sot » Tue, 08 May 2001 11:42:36

> Do you know what is the stateful intrusion detection system and what is the
> stateless intrusion detection system? Is there any reference for them?
> Thanks,

Read the IPFilter howto at http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf which
dwelves into the topic.

Vilmos

1. stateless/stateful clent server ..connectionless/connection oriented pr

Hello

I a little confused as to the defintion of certain terminology.  What
exactly is a stateless or stateful client server?  What is a connection or
connectionless oriented protocol?  If I am thinking correctly, FTP would
be a connection oriented protocol correct?

If anyone could give me some insight on this it would be greatly
appreciated :)

Thanks,
Sherman Charles

2. ZIP 250 Parallel

3. Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction

4. RedHat 5.0 system won't see Voodoo2 board

5. SPECTER Intrusion Detection System

6. Xircom CardBus - eth0 does not exist

7. RS6000 370 (AHHG the pain, agony!!!)

8. new Project : Intrusion Detection System

9. New network intrusion detection system for Linux (GPL)

10. new Project : Intrusion Detection System

11. Intrusion Detection System.

12. System intrusion detection, primarily on linux servers with a handful of others