Configuring CrackLib to lighten up

Post by Ian Pilche » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:30:19

Is there a configuration file anywhere that will allow a system
administrator to configure the rules that CrackLib applies to passwords?

Post by Gandalf Parke » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:58:46

> Is there a configuration file anywhere that will allow a system
> administrator to configure the rules that CrackLib applies to passwords?

Root can always force it. No matter what the response, root putting it in
twice will take. I dont know of a lightener though. Maybe giving it access
to a different dictionary file, one with all words less than 4 letters taken
out?

Gandalf  Parker

Configuring CrackLib to lighten up

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 06:33:05

Quote:>Is there a configuration file anywhere that will allow a system
>administrator to configure the rules that CrackLib applies to passwords?

I assume you mean th erules that cracklib uses to test a password to see
if it is sufficiently strong.
No. cracklib comes with a precompiled set of rules. I wrote a revised
version of cracklib which does allow setting your own rules.
If you want it you can have it.
I once thought of submitting this to the pam maintainer, but did not get
up the energy to write a sufficiently detailed set of docs for it

Post by Ian Pilche » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:06:15

> I assume you mean th erules that cracklib uses to test a password to see
> if it is sufficiently strong.
> No. cracklib comes with a precompiled set of rules. I wrote a revised
> version of cracklib which does allow setting your own rules.
> If you want it you can have it.
> I once thought of submitting this to the pam maintainer, but did not get
> up the energy to write a sufficiently detailed set of docs for it

Send it on over.  I can't say with certainty that I'll have time to
delve into it, but this stuff really should be configurable.

Thanks!