can this be done?

Post by Lee » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:18:16

Can this be done? and how?
I will have one win98 pc, 1 linux pc on a small network and want to use an
old pc  for the firewall probably using linux.
I want to be able to use the firewall to act as a web/ftp server aswell.
I would like to be able to config the firewall and  upload/ download files
from the firewall box from inside my network and to ul/dl to the firewall
from the internet with the use of password access. Not to do any large web
serving, just small personal stuff.
I will be using a cable modem for access and the ip is dynamic although I
have been told by the isp that I should have the same ip for as long as the
modem stays switched on.

Thanks

Lee

can this be done?

Post by Erlend J. Leikne » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:56:35

Ofcourse thats possible =)

Quote:> Can this be done? and how?
> I will have one win98 pc, 1 linux pc on a small network and want to use an
> old pc  for the firewall probably using linux.
> I want to be able to use the firewall to act as a web/ftp server aswell.
> I would like to be able to config the firewall and  upload/ download files
> from the firewall box from inside my network and to ul/dl to the firewall
> from the internet with the use of password access. Not to do any large web
> serving, just small personal stuff.
> I will be using a cable modem for access and the ip is dynamic although I
> have been told by the isp that I should have the same ip for as long as
the
> modem stays switched on.

> Thanks

> Lee

1. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?

I have a RH 5.0 Linux PC setup with two Ethernet interfaces configured and
connected to two different LANs. Each LAN has a way out to the Internet, and
I've disabled IP forwarding on Linux to prevent the PC from routing between
the two LANs (which is my intention). The routing table entries for the first
LAN (eth0) simply has the usual loopback and LAN entries, and a default route
pointing to the gateway to the Internet. This works just fine.

On the eth1 interface, I have set up the Cisco router on the second LAN to use
RIP to broadcast routes on the second LAN. I then configure Linux to run
routed with -q (listen only) so that it can pick up the RIP routes and know to
use the second interface for routes to networks serviced by the Cisco. This
isn't working.

When I start routed -q, I end up with a route to the serial side of the Cisco
(that's good) and a second default route pointing to the Cisco on eth1 is
created (not good). With two default routes, Linux seems to pick the first
available default route when it doesn't know where to go - hence, all my
traffic continues out the eth0 interface when a better path is available on
eth1.

The route table never fills with routes known by the Cisco, so my question is
what am I doing wrong? Is this a known problem with Linux? Why is it creating
a second (and useless) default route instead of filling up with routes learned
via RIP?

Dan Peterka

2. NEED ZMODEM CODE

3. Am I doing something wrong?? - (SAMBA)

4. SAMBA question

5. One more question - What am I doing wrong?

6. 3COM 3c90x

7. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else

8. SCSI under Solaris

9. KNode (No Caching) - What am I doing no wrong

10. gethostbyname misbehavior - what am i doing wrong.

11. Shutdown problems...am I doing it right?

12. What am I doing wrong?????

13. Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????