Microsoft VPN vs. Linux VPN

Post by Knud » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:10:49

I need to connect external windows 2000 users coming in from a lan to a
local private win2000 network.

Has anyone got any views on the security on Microsoft VPN running on
Windows 2000. I am concerned that installing this product will allow
exploits to be used to gain access to our private network Is the linux
VPN(PPTP) and Maquerade solution more secure than the windows one ?

I know any security product or protocol is never completley free of
potential exploits, but in this case i'm trying to gauge if this
solution will introduce a whole load of weaknesses.

Microsoft VPN vs. Linux VPN

Post by Bruno Wolff II » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 02:03:08

> Has anyone got any views on the security on Microsoft VPN running on
> Windows 2000. I am concerned that installing this product will allow
> exploits to be used to gain access to our private network Is the linux
> VPN(PPTP) and Maquerade solution more secure than the windows one ?

Bruce Schneier doesn't think it is secure. See:
http://www.counterpane.com/pptp-faq.html

Microsoft VPN vs. Linux VPN

Post by Selzhani » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:20:06

That document is from 1998...
Copyright Counterpane Internet Security, Inc., 1998

Today, being 2002, if the encryptions are used,
it is secure... both..

Post by Michael Erski » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:50:35

> That document is from 1998...
> Copyright Counterpane Internet Security, Inc., 1998

> Today, being 2002, if the encryptions are used,
> it is secure... both..

Do you claim the mere passage of time improves Microsoft products?
Since I have a more than passing interest in this particular protocol
at this particular time...  document your claim with a cite atleast as
good as the one he provided.

HISTORY documents that Microsoft is *irresponsibly* poor at any and
all forms of security.  HISTORY documents this problem continues to
this day.  If they have fixed their VPN software, surely there is a
citation somewhere.

-m-