Linux based Firewall. Need recommendation.

Linux based Firewall. Need recommendation.

Post by Phil » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I planed to setup a leased line connection to the Internet. Other than
IPCHAINS. What other recommendations of commercial grade or free
Firewalls is recommended?

TIA

-----
PhilT

Post by Greg Whit » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I planed to setup a leased line connection to the Internet. Other than
> IPCHAINS. What other recommendations of commercial grade or free
> Firewalls is recommended?

> TIA

> -----
> PhilT

What type of firewall are you looking for?

A. Packet filtering

B. Proxy

C. Stateful firewall

If the answer is A, a Linux box using IPChains can, IMHO, be made as
secure as a 'black box' product that does only packet filtering.

If the answer is B, look into either/both of basic masquerade, or
installing 'squid'.

If the answer is C, perhaps someone else could help you... ;)

GW

Linux based Firewall. Need recommendation.

Post by Matt Chipma » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

The IPCHAINS FAQ details the sponser of ipchains has a firewall product
called Watchgaurd Firebox

www.watchguard.com

support the people supporting the people :)

Matt

> I planed to setup a leased line connection to the Internet. Other than
> IPCHAINS. What other recommendations of commercial grade or free
> Firewalls is recommended?

> TIA

> -----
> PhilT

1. Need recommendation for linux-based e-mail server.

Hi,

I would appreciate any feedback to help me with this problem.

Our company is trying to set up an e-mail/web infrastructure.
We need a box that can sit between the WAN router and our
local LAN. The following are the requirements.

1) OK to be commercial and/or expensive.

2) Should distribute internal e-mail and route
   mail externally. Should provide POP3 and IMAP
   mailboxes.

3) Should support the internet and and intranet (different websites
   etc.)

4) Should provide a firewall.

5) Should provide VPN functionality so that traveling employees
   can access their e-mail securely. (Ideally, the VPN client
   should work from a browser, or at least be cross-platform,
   windows and linux). But we can live without the cross-platform
   in a pinch.

6) Should be scaleable to several hundred users.

7) SHOULD BE EASILY ADMINISTRABLE. A piece of cheese should be
    able to administer it (my boss's own words).

8) A DHCP server built in.

9) Commercial support should be available.

My boss wants to use NT with a big-ass server from Dell, but he said
he is willing to consider linux if I can find a solution that
supports the above criteria.

I looked into the Cobalt Qube, but it does not support VPNs and
does not scale beyond 150 users. (Am I wrong?) Does anyone sell some
software that puts together all the free linux tools into an easily
useable form? We would be willing to pay fairly serious money.

Thanks,

George.

--
George Smiley

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. gcc-lib in RH4.2 and RH5.1 problem!!!

3. Linux Based Firewall/FTP info needed...

4. pcibios_present

5. Popclient+Pine Problem....

6. An application gateway firewall based on Linux - ITShield firewall

7. <<Java IDE For RH-Linux 4.1>>

8. Need Help: PCI-based frame grabber recommendation ?

9. Single Board Computer - ARM based recommendations needed

10. teminal based leak detector - need recommendation

11. Need recommendation for firewall