openssl, certificate, tomcat, port certificate

openssl, certificate, tomcat, port certificate

Post by eruditus digerat » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:27:37

Hey people,
    I have a certificate and ssl key for apache. The key was generated with
openssl (RSA). The certificate is from Verisign. I need to know how to port
this
.crt (certificate) from apache to tomcat. If it's even possible.
Thank you.

~eruditus~

Post by Mark Robso » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 06:43:11

> Hey people,
>     I have a certificate and ssl key for apache. The key was generated
>     with
> openssl (RSA). The certificate is from Verisign. I need to know how to
> port this
> .crt (certificate) from apache to tomcat. If it's even possible. Thank
> you.

Eruditus,
        I am assuming that you are actually going to use Tomcat as an SSL
webserver here. It's possible of course to continue to use Apache as the
SSL web server, and use Tomcat to run Java-based web applications
underneath,but I will assume you want to ditch Apache.

Assuming the key and certificate are in the right format, you can import
the key into the Java SSL keystore with "keytool" and the appropriate
options. I haven't done it before, but I expect it works.

You will probably have to set up the key in the key store under a
particular alias "tomcat" or something so that TC can recognise it.

Make sure you can set tomcat up using a dummy certificate first (I have
done this) and connect in your browser.

Good luck

        Mark

openssl, certificate, tomcat, port certificate

Post by Colin McKinno » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:24:27

Quote:> Hey people,
>     I have a certificate and ssl key for apache. The key was generated
with
> openssl (RSA). The certificate is from Verisign. I need to know how to
port
> this
> Thank you.

> ~eruditus~

Port it? Do you mean install it? If so you'll need an ssl capable webserver.
I assume you're running tomcat on Apache? Check to see if openssl/modssl
is already installed... e.g.
    curl -I http://localhost
If so, then you should already have the mod_ssl docs installed below the
apache manual. e.g. http://localhost/manual/mod/mod_ssl/

See also your httpd.conf file for the locations of the files.

If you can't find the docs or don't have mod_ssl installed, install it.
You'll the apache source code, mod_ssl and OpenSSL (it might be easier to
use something like the Apache toolbox to install it all). Then just follow
the instructions (NB in addition to the virtual server settings suggested,
you'll also need to set up your server to listen to port 443 as well as 80
in the global section of httpd.conf).

Check the Tomcat FAQ at: http://jakarta.apache.org

If you get stuck, try posting with a LOT more infomration - like what your
OS is, what you've installed from the distro, and added after, what,
specifically, you're trying to acheive, and what is not working, any error
messages and what you've tried to test / fix it.

HTH

Colin

1. pb with self-signed certificate and certificate installation within IE browser

Hi there,

I carefully read and apply the instructions from

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html

to create a create a self-signed CA certificate on my linux machine
(redhat 7.3,
apache-1.3.27-2, mod_ssl-2.8.12-2).

The mozilla client could store that certificate in order to reuse it
the next time the URL is visited, but with IE(6) :
* I can install the certificate with importation wizard within the
certificate store
* I can find the certificate in the certificate store but it is
mentionned that Windows don't have enough information to validate the
certificate ?
* When exiting IE and launch it again, IE could not (of course) use
that certificate ?

I could not find any information on the subject.

Any idea ?

2. teql - true link equalizer

3. Wget and openssl not working for ssl certificates?

4. * Help on dlopen() please*

5. HELP - openssl/mod_ssl certificate problem

6. X connection refused by server?

7. help setting up an OpenSSL certificate authority

8. Second IP adress

9. OpenSSL 0.9.6, Apache 1.3.14 - Client Certificates Help Needed

10. OpenSSL Certificate Creation

11. Generate client certificate with openssl ???

12. How to attach OpenSSL certificate to a website

13. creating certificate (openSSL) fails..