Linux Newbie ?: Anti-Virus Software Needed?

Linux Newbie ?: Anti-Virus Software Needed?

Post by Justin Oxse » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 08:40:24

Greetings,

I run SuSE on my computer and I was thinking about getting anti-virus
software.  I was looking on a download site and a review for an application
said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary, as Linux is not
vulnerable to viruses.  Is this true?  If it isn't, can anyone recommend a
quality application?

Thanks,

Justin

Post by Bit Twiste » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:33:43

> Greetings,

> I run SuSE on my computer and I was thinking about getting anti-virus
> software.  I was looking on a download site and a review for an application
> said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary, as Linux is not
> vulnerable to viruses.  Is this true?  If it isn't, can anyone recommend a
> quality application?

Not much use for spending manhours for making a virus scanner for linux.

I think there are less than 10 (virus + worms) total for linux
and those have been closed out with recent software updates.

The OS is virus resistant unless you are running as root
instead of using a regular account.
        http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus

Check your linux vendor for updates *regularly*.

For some light reading:
        http://www.claws-and-paws.com/virus/articles/linux_viruses.shtml
        http://librenix.com/?inode=21

Now if you need linux to scan email passed through for Micro$not
then see if your Micro$oft virus scanner vendor has one for linux.
You might need other vendors if you are using linux as a file server
for Bill'$ code.

More answers at
        good virus scanner           in the first box
        *linux*                      in the Newsgroup, pick english

returns over 9,000 hits, change to      best virus scanner
returns over 400 hits

Five minutes of just looking for links in the text gets me,
in no order of importance:

        http://www.centralcommand.com
        http://www.symantec.com/product
        http://mcafee.com
        http://www.openantivirus.org
        http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=virus§ion=projects
        http://www.f-secure.com/
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/openantivirus
        http://www.sophos.com
        http://www.kaspersky.com
        http://www.pspl.com
        http://www.hbedv.com
        http://www.ravantivirus.com
        http://www.antivirus.com
        http://clamav.elektrapro.com/
        http://www.openantivirus.org

Use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search again to
check responses for the product you think about using.

Linux Newbie ?: Anti-Virus Software Needed?

Post by Jem Berke » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:17:37

Quote:> I run SuSE on my computer and I was thinking about getting anti-virus
> software.  I was looking on a download site and a review for an
> application said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary,
> as Linux is not vulnerable to viruses.  Is this true?  If it isn't,
> can anyone recommend a quality application?

Linux (and UNIX, BSD in general) is still of course vulnerable. Automated
intrusions into Linux systems almost always involve the installation of
what's called a "rootkit": if somebody is able to gain unauthorized entry,
they install this type of software to hide their tracks and retain control
over your system.

An excellent program, and the one that comes to mind as a 'virus scanner'
for Linux is chkrootkit:

http://www.chkrootkit.org/

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.pc-tools.net/

Post by Rick and Sue Deschen » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 11:10:21

>>I run SuSE on my computer and I was thinking about getting anti-virus
>>software.  I was looking on a download site and a review for an
>>application said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary,
>>as Linux is not vulnerable to viruses.  Is this true?  If it isn't,
>>can anyone recommend a quality application?

> Linux (and UNIX, BSD in general) is still of course vulnerable. Automated
> intrusions into Linux systems almost always involve the installation of
> what's called a "rootkit": if somebody is able to gain unauthorized entry,
> they install this type of software to hide their tracks and retain control
> over your system.

> An excellent program, and the one that comes to mind as a 'virus scanner'
> for Linux is chkrootkit:

> http://www.chkrootkit.org/

Justin,

        For further information and links, do a google advanced newsgroup
search for this newsgroup, and using the keywords: virus scanner.

Rick D.

Linux Newbie ?: Anti-Virus Software Needed?

Post by Robert Hul » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 19:46:01

Quote:>Greetings,

>I run SuSE on my computer and I was thinking about getting anti-virus
>software.  I was looking on a download site and a review for an application
>said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary, as Linux is not
>vulnerable to viruses.  Is this true?  If it isn't, can anyone recommend a
>quality application?

There are no known Linux-viruses in the wild. Those that have been
written depend upon somebody being stupid enough to follow quite
long-winded instructions about how to execute their virus (I know some
people who might do this).

If you need to pass files to people using Windoze, it might be worth
your while using a virus checker such as the one being certified by Suse
(see http://www.suse.de/en for details). I am in that situation.

It is possible for viruses to be written for Linux, but the likelihood
of them spreading is minuscule even though non-zero.

--
Robert          Talking to yourself - first sign of madness
                 Answering yourself back - first sign of schizophrenia

Post by Paul Hand » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:19:02

> Greetings,

> I run SuSE on my computer and I was thinking about getting anti-virus
> software.  I was looking on a download site and a review for an
> application said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary, as
> Linux is not
> vulnerable to viruses.  Is this true?  If it isn't, can anyone recommend a
> quality application?

> Thanks,

> Justin

Hi,

It's true that there are few Linux specific virii in the wild.  Linux IS
vulnerable to them, just not as seriously as windows, because of basic
architectural differences.  The fact that Linux is growing in popularity
will (IMO) mean that more virus writers will turn their attention on us as
time passes.  They will get more sophisticated and dangerous.

One other reason to get antivirus software is so that you don't
unintenionally spread windows virii by forwarding infected emails to which
Linux is immune.

There are some AV solutions for linux, and some are free (GPL licensed).
Google is your starting point.

Paul

1. anti-virus software maker 'predicts' increase in 'Linux-based' Viruses !

Talk about using scare tactics to sell product !!

I put this one up there with Network Associates telling people that
the New York water supply was under threat from 'hackers' unless
people bought more virus software. Stock in NA went through the roof !

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030318/fltu021_1.html

Central Command Predicts Linux-based Viruses to Increase as Linux OS
Moves on to Corporate and Consumer Desktops
Tuesday March 18, 1:27 pm ET

MEDINA, Ohio, March 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Central Command, Inc., a
leading provider of PC anti-virus software and computer security
services today warns of the importance of installing and maintaining
current anti-virus protection on the Linux operating system (Linux).
.
".. virus protection solutions for Linux workstation, servers and mail
servers starting at $34.95 .."
....... end quote .......

2. '5765-C34' versus '5765-393'

3. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

5. Batting 0 for 2 on Mice and X

6. pcmcia card question

7. Linux Anti-Virus Software

8. Anti-Virus Software Available For Linux?