secure alternative to POP3?

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Jeff Beama » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00



I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Roar Petters » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Hello !

Quote:>I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
>text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
>e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

You should take a look at IMAP, you will find more info at the addrerss :

http://www.imap.org/

Regards

Roar Pettersen
Heath Comm A/S



 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by fv » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
>text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
>e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

Well, there's apop. This is an encrypted pop3 version.

One pop3d capalbe of apop is solidpop (http://solidpop3d.pld.org.pl/), but
there are many more, have a look on freshmeat.

--

                        Frank v Waveren

                        ICQ# 10074100

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Michael Str?de » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
> text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
> e-mail client.

E.g. Netscape Messenger can use IMAP (not POP3) over SSL.

Ciao, Michael.

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Parag0 » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Use sslwrap with your normal pop3
search on freshmeat for it.
with sslwrap, pop3 will be on port 995.
most email clients have an option to use this.

Greetingz,
____________________

Parag0n

"When it comes to computer security,
paranoia is not enough."
Ralph Jones.

Quote:Jeff Beaman wrote...


Quote:>I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
>text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
>e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

>Thanks in advance,
>Jeff

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Bernhard Erdman » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
> text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
> e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

Maybe you can use tunneling via SSH.
 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Jeff Beama » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00


I don't see anything on its security though, its on-line/off-line modes
are well documented, but the security is not even mentioned (that I
could see)  If you know where I can see the security information for
IMAP I would be interested.  I'm looking for something like SSL for
e-mail.

Thanks,
Jeff


> Hello !

> >I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
> >text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
> >e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

> You should take a look at IMAP, you will find more info at the addrerss :

> http://www.imap.org/

> Regards

> Roar Pettersen
> Heath Comm A/S



 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Jeff Beama » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00


is it compatible with netscape mail?


> >I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
> >text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
> >e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

> Well, there's apop. This is an encrypted pop3 version.

> One pop3d capalbe of apop is solidpop (http://solidpop3d.pld.org.pl/), but
> there are many more, have a look on freshmeat.

> --

>                         Frank v Waveren

>                         ICQ# 10074100

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Jeff Beama » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> E.g. Netscape Messenger can use IMAP (not POP3) over SSL.

Can you provide more information?
That sounds really interesting. But I've been unable to find any such
server side service providers for linux.

Thanks,
Jeff

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Jeff Beama » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> Maybe you can use tunneling via SSH.

It needs to accessible by netscape or similar clients, nothing extra
special.  But maybe I'm not that familiar with ssh tunneling, to the
best of my knowledge you need a specialized client.  Am I wrong in
assuming that?

Thanks,
Jeff

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Jeff Beama » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> Use sslwrap with your normal pop3
> search on freshmeat for it.
> with sslwrap, pop3 will be on port 995.
> most email clients have an option to use this.

Thanks, that was just was I was looking for.  I'll play around with it
tonight and see what I can get working.  So far it looks like its going
to be an easy fix to a not so difficult problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Noone Ho » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00



>Use sslwrap with your normal pop3
>search on freshmeat for it.
>with sslwrap, pop3 will be on port 995.
>most email clients have an option to use this.

Any idea if Eudora (for Windows) can handle pop3 via ssl?

Alternatively... I know Eudora can handle IMAP. But, do IMAP passwords get
sent encrypted?

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00


|> E.g. Netscape Messenger can use IMAP (not POP3) over SSL.
|
|Can you provide more information?
|That sounds really interesting. But I've been unable to find any such
|server side service providers for linux.

OpenSSL + stunnel/sslproxy/sslwrap will allow you to wrap regular
UW imapd or Cyrus in SSL for server purposes.

The same can allow wrapping IMAP connections from clients.  POP3
connections can likewise be wrapped in SSL.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com
No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by Michael Str?de » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00




> > E.g. Netscape Messenger can use IMAP (not POP3) over SSL.

> That sounds really interesting. But I've been unable to find any such
> server side service providers for linux.

You can use stunnel (that's what I use) or any other SSL wrapper for
providing IMAP over SSL on port 993 (or any other TCP-based
service). Switch on "Use secure connection" in Netscape's mail
settings (IMAP).

You can use stunnel also on the client side. That's what I'm doing
at home to securely retrieve mail with fetchmail (POP3 over SSL).
fetchmail->local stunnel (client mode)->remote stunnel (server
mode)->POP3 server.

Have a look at http://mike.daewoo.com.pl/computer/stunnel/ and on
http://www.openssl.org/.

Ciao, Michael.

 
 
 

secure alternative to POP3?

Post by fv » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Dunno, you'd have to check if netscape supports apop. Should be somewhere in
prefs I guess.


>is it compatible with netscape mail?



>> >I'm looking to make sure my server never transmits or receives a clear
>> >text password.  One of my more recent set backs was the lack of a secure
>> >e-mail client.  Any recommendations?

>> Well, there's apop. This is an encrypted pop3 version.

>> One pop3d capalbe of apop is solidpop (http://solidpop3d.pld.org.pl/), but
>> there are many more, have a look on freshmeat.

>> --

>>                         Frank v Waveren

>>                         ICQ# 10074100

--

                        Frank v Waveren

                        ICQ# 10074100

 
 
 

1. Alternatives to vpop3d for virtual pop3 domains?

I like the idea of having virtual pop domains so I don't have to set up
normal user accounts on my server. I see that RedHat61/Linuxconf contain
vpop3d that achieves this purpose. However, I can't find any decent doc
or any other evidence that vpop3d is robust enough for some serious &
secure mail retrieving.

Does anyone care to comment on their experiences with vpop3d, or perhaps
suggest an alternative approach that gives us the advantage of not
creating normal user accounts on our mailserver?

--

Scott Thomason
IT Manager

Starkmedia | for the web
p 414-226-2710
f 414-226-2705

w http://www.starkmedia.com

2. Solaris 2.6 installation on UltraSPARC 10S

3. Which more secure alternatives to standard NFS are available?

4. slow performance with high bogomips

5. secure alternative to nfs ?

6. Dynamic Linking etc.

7. Secure Netscape Alternatives

8. less info finger

9. secure nfs alternatives

10. Secure POP: Alternative to SSH tunnel?

11. Secure Netscape Alternatives

12. more secure alternatives to .rhosts and .netrc

13. Alternatives to Netscape secure server