root passw delete ?

Post by Jean-Christophe MICHE » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Ok I know it seems stupid (as newbies can be ?), but I changed my root
passw five days ago (after some readings about security...) and now I
canot login. I use Suse 6.1 distrib. What can I do to delete the passw ?
(it's my own Linux box, I can boot with floppy).
Thanks

root passw delete ?

Post by Rootma » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

At the LILO prompt type linux single, this will get you into run level
1, which requires no password.  Use either linuxconf (for a RedHat
setup) or the regular password change utility chpasswd.

Good luck.

Quote:> Ok I know it seems stupid (as newbies can be ?), but I changed my root
> passw five days ago (after some readings about security...) and now I
> canot login. I use Suse 6.1 distrib. What can I do to delete the passw
?
> (it's my own Linux box, I can boot with floppy).
> Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

root passw delete ?

Post by gu.. » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 02:33:42 GMT, Jean-Christophe MICHEL

>Ok I know it seems stupid (as newbies can be ?), but I changed my root
>passw five days ago (after some readings about security...) and now I
>canot login. I use Suse 6.1 distrib. What can I do to delete the passw ?
>(it's my own Linux box, I can boot with floppy).
>Thanks

reboot in single user mode (when the lilo prompt comes up, type 'linux
single' without the quotes).  then you're in as root, so just type
passwd and change it to what you want it to be.

--
Program complexity grows until it exceeds the capabilities of the
programmer who must maintain it.

root passw delete ?

Post by Lord Apolly » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Ok I know it seems stupid (as newbies can be ?), but I changed my root
> passw five days ago (after some readings about security...) and now I
> canot login. I use Suse 6.1 distrib. What can I do to delete the passw ?
> (it's my own Linux box, I can boot with floppy).
> Thanks

Hold down "S" during boot to go to single user mode.  Then just "passwd" a
password into the password file. (no boot floppy needed) - this assumes
you're using LILO of course.

=R=

--
The reply-to-address is real and will expire on 12:01AM 1-Feb-2000.
Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

root passw delete ?

Post by GC » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 02:33:42 GMT, Jean-Christophe MICHEL

> >Ok I know it seems stupid (as newbies can be ?), but I changed my root
> >passw five days ago (after some readings about security...) and now I
> >canot login. I use Suse 6.1 distrib. What can I do to delete the passw ?
> >(it's my own Linux box, I can boot with floppy).
> >Thanks

> reboot in single user mode (when the lilo prompt comes up, type 'linux
> single' without the quotes).  then you're in as root, so just type
> passwd and change it to what you want it to be.

This doesn't work under SuSE. When you boot into single, you are
prompted for root's password.
Just fyi,

Cheers,
GC

root passw delete ?

Post by John Kod » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> reboot in single user mode (when the lilo prompt comes up, type 'linux
>> single' without the quotes).  then you're in as root, so just type
>> passwd and change it to what you want it to be.

>This doesn't work under SuSE. When you boot into single, you are
>prompted for root's password.

In that case, I'd try booting with "linux init=/bin/bash".

-- John Kodis.