ssh on Redhat7.3

Post by Walter Dne » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:35:51

  This is for internal use only behind a paranoid iptables ruleset and
an equally paranoid Netgear RT314 ruleset.  My 433 mhz machine with 128
megs of RAM is underpowered for GNOME/KDE *DESKTOPS*, but is perfectly
adequated for running GNOME/KDE *APPS* under FVWM.  My only problem so
far has been sshd...

  1) I finally got it working, but I had to shut down xinetd on RH7.3 to
get in.  Under CRUX, the line...

sshd: 192.168.1.248/255.255.255.248

..in hosts.allow was sufficient.  What's required under RH ?  Something
in xinetd.d ?

  2) sshd is asking for my password before letting me in now.  It did not
do so when I ran it under CRUX.  I'd like to go back to that behaviour
under RH7.3

--

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking

ssh on Redhat7.3

Post by James Ride » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:21:53

>   This is for internal use only behind a paranoid iptables ruleset and
> an equally paranoid Netgear RT314 ruleset.  My 433 mhz machine with 128
> megs of RAM is underpowered for GNOME/KDE *DESKTOPS*, but is perfectly
> adequated for running GNOME/KDE *APPS* under FVWM.  My only problem so
> far has been sshd...

>   1) I finally got it working, but I had to shut down xinetd on RH7.3 to
> get in.  Under CRUX, the line...

> sshd: 192.168.1.248/255.255.255.248

> ..in hosts.allow was sufficient.  What's required under RH ?  Something
> in xinetd.d ?

On a RH 7.3 box here, sshd is invoked because /etc/rc3.d/S55sshd is a
symlink to /etc/init.d/sshd - xinetd isn't involved. I think this is
the default RH config.

Quote:>   2) sshd is asking for my password before letting me in now.  It did not
> do so when I ran it under CRUX.  I'd like to go back to that behaviour
> under RH7.3

Did you set up public key authentication on the old system?

cheers,
 Jamie

This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

ssh on Redhat7.3

Post by Walter Dne » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:56:20

Quote:> >   2) sshd is asking for my password before letting me in now.  It did not
> > do so when I ran it under CRUX.  I'd like to go back to that behaviour
> > under RH7.3

>  Did you set up public key authentication on the old system?

   Arrrgh.  On my other machine, I had the keys in a separate directory
under .ssh.  This was used with a script to pull mail via POP or access
a remote shell account.  The script had the non-default directory in it.
Now when I manually attempted to connect the 2 PCs at home, I didn't
type in the non-default directory.  Anyhow, I copied the keys to the
default location and things work.  Thanks for the pointer.

--

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did

1. how can i install RedHat7.1 or redhat7.0 to a scsi hard disk?

i want to install redhat7.1 or redhat7.0 to a scsi hard disk,the scsi
card is the tekram 390u2b. i have tried many times,and each time
,after the files have copied to the hard disk,the system told me that
system had errors.there is some errors in the driver of scsi card,but
the driver was downloaded from the tekram homepage.
how can i install redhat7.1 or redhat7.0 to my computer?
can you help me ?
thank you .

2. SMTP / Netscape clashes

3. can ssh-agent work between ssh-2.3 and ssh-3.5

4. Probs With ATI 3d Charger 4mb

5. ssh to ssh

6. termiox on zs driver

7. ssh tunnel to non-standard ssh port

8. has anyone used Promise Ultra66 on Asus P2B-D

9. ADSL, ssh & X (Was: ssh & X)

10. x windows over ssh and over ssh

11. SSH client disconnects when performing certain commandline utilities (AIX 4.3.3) - SSH of Firewall problem ?

12. ssh - no ssh

13. Problem with ssh-agent and ssh-add