Shrinking bitmapped fonts (TeX PK font files to Sun font files)

Shrinking bitmapped fonts (TeX PK font files to Sun font files)

Post by y.. » Wed, 05 Feb 1992 01:51:22

Has anyone in netland ever done any work on scaling TeX PK fonts?

I am currently writing a tool for converting 300 DPI PK font files to
80 DPI Sun font file format (well, something very similar).
At the moment I only need to shrink the bitmap obtained from processing
the PK file.  I have so far tried two different shrinking algorithms, neither
of which gave particularly satisfactory results.

The two methods I have used are:

1)      Calculating a rectangle in the source bitmap which corresponds to a
        specific point in the destination bitmap.  If 1/2 or more pixels are
        set in the rectangle then set the pixel in the destination.
2)      Simple scaling of pixel distance from a reference point.  For each
        set pixel in the source calculate (x,y) distance from reference point.
        Then set pixel (x_sf * x, y_sf * y) in the destination bitmap.

The first method is generally cruddy - requires more processing and gives poor
results.  The second method gives much better results, but the characters tend
to be rather bold and squared off.

If you have succeeded in scaling PK fonts with satisfactory results, I would be
very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Locke.

Chris Locke                            Phone:  +44 (0)904 433741
York Software Engineering Limited      Fax:    +44 (0)904 433744

York YO1 5DD
England

1. How to Generate an m DPI .pk Font File to n DPI Font File?

Hello All,
Could any kind soul please let me know how can I generate
a different dpi .pk font file from another .pk file?
That is, say, I have myfont.tfm and myfont.300pk. From
these, how can I get myfont.240pk?

myfont.mf is NOT available.

Thanks a lot for your kind attention.

Regards,

Masroor

          Mosher's Law of Software Engineering:
                  Don't worry if it doesn't work right.  If
          everything did, you'd be out of a job.

     Department of Computer Science and Communication Engineering
     Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University
     Fukuoka, 812 JAPAN

2. Custom Themes

3. Quality of PS fonts vs. bitmap PK fonts

4. Road or highway images

5. Generating PostScript bitmap fonts from pk fonts: how?

6. Logic Lookup Table

7. how to read bitmapped tex font files?

8. Can i use os x in my power pc

9. Converting Postscript fonts to TeX pk files?

10. .tex file to list installed fonts, WWW page with fonts & rendered

11. HP Soft Font --> TeX font (.PK and .TFM)

12. distilling a file with eps figures containing bitmapped fonts

13. converting bitmaps to pk fonts