HELP ! I can't insert pictures

Post by Martin Silenu » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I can't insert any PostScript picture into my documents :
dvips runs perfectly, but when I open my .ps with GhostScript (GSview
2.1 for Windows) I have the following error :

***

%%[ LastPage ]%%
Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .installpagedevice
Operand stack:
    --nostringval--  --nostringval--

--- Begin offending input ---
45X

%%EndDocument

(a)j(99\045,)f(il)i(y)e(a)g(tr)o(\022)-22 b(es)12 b(p)q(eu)g(de)g

(sous-traitance.)224 1083 y Fe(Mo)q(d)o(\022)-25 b(eles)46

b Fh(JST)14 b(ne)g(concoit)h(pas)e(un)
--- End offending input ---
file offset = 63591
gsdll_execute_cont returns -15

***

the picture is a .prn, output from Microsoft Excel when I chose 'Print
to a File'
the printer chosen is an HP Postscript (I can open the picture with
GhostScript)
I'm using the Astex2.20 distribution

The command into my TeX document is :

\epsfysize=5cm
\epsfbox{e1.prn}

Any help welcome, this document is a very important report.

Thanks in advance.

David.

HELP ! I can't insert pictures

Post by Asbj?rn S?b » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I can't insert any PostScript picture into my documents :
> dvips runs perfectly, but when I open my .ps with GhostScript (GSview
> 2.1 for Windows) I have the following error :

> ***

> %%[ LastPage ]%%
> Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .installpagedevice
> Operand stack:
>     --nostringval--  --nostringval--

> --- Begin offending input ---
> 45X

> %%EndDocument

I would guesss that the error is in your figure. Verify that it is a
valid PS/EPS file, f.i. by opening it (the figure alone) in GSView
or another viewer, or in an editor.

Asbj.S.

--

NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Acoustics group
Public PGP-key: <URL: http://www.tele.ntnu.no/users/saeboe/pgp/pgp.html>

HELP ! I can't insert pictures

Post by Martin Silenu » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Yes I can open my figure in GhostView !

I really don't understand.

david.

> > I can't insert any PostScript picture into my documents :
> > dvips runs perfectly, but when I open my .ps with GhostScript (GSview
> > 2.1 for Windows) I have the following error :

> > ***

> > %%[ LastPage ]%%
> > Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .installpagedevice
> > Operand stack:
> >     --nostringval--  --nostringval--

> > --- Begin offending input ---
> > 45X

> > %%EndDocument

> I would guesss that the error is in your figure. Verify that it is a
> valid PS/EPS file, f.i. by opening it (the figure alone) in GSView
> or another viewer, or in an editor.

> Asbj.S.

> --

> NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Acoustics group
> Public PGP-key: <URL: http://www.tele.ntnu.no/users/saeboe/pgp/pgp.html>

HELP ! I can't insert pictures

Post by Asbj?rn S?b » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Yes I can open my figure in GhostView !

> I really don't understand.

> david.

I got similar error messages when trying to include an EPS-file that
was not valid, so I thought this might be your problem to.

In my case, the EPS-file did not start with %!PS, but with some
control characters. You may of course have a totally different error.

(As a reminder: It is customary to reply _below_ the text you are
replying to.)

Asbj.S.

--

Post by David Wilso » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I can't insert any PostScript picture into my documents :
> dvips runs perfectly, but when I open my .ps with GhostScript (GSview
> 2.1 for Windows) I have the following error :

> ***

> %%[ LastPage ]%%
> Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .installpagedevice
> Operand stack:
>     --nostringval--  --nostringval--

> --- Begin offending input ---
> 45X

> %%EndDocument

> (a)j(99\045,)f(il)i(y)e(a)g(tr)o(\022)-22 b(es)12 b(p)q(eu)g(de)g

> (sous-traitance.)224 1083 y Fe(Mo)q(d)o(\022)-25 b(eles)46

> b Fh(JST)14 b(ne)g(concoit)h(pas)e(un)
> --- End offending input ---
> file offset = 63591
> gsdll_execute_cont returns -15

The installpagedevice error strongly suggests that your so-called eps
file
contains illegal commands and is not in fact eps. dvips disables some

wrapping,
but there are some nasties it doesn't catch, and you have probably
got at least one of them in your file.
Quote:

> the picture is a .prn, output from Microsoft Excel when I chose 'Print
> to a File'
> the printer chosen is an HP Postscript (I can open the picture with
> GhostScript)

This will give a printable PostScript file, not a placeable PostScript
file, unless the print driver has an option for generating eps and you
actually select that option. GSview has an "EPS Warn" facility: if
you turn that on (under the Options menu) prior to viewing your eps
file,
then any eps-illegal commands encountered will be signalled in the log
(choose "show messages" under the File menu to see the log).

The simplest method to fix your problem is probably to go back to
Excel and re-generate the eps, using an eps-capable print driver.
Alternatively you could edit the existing file and disable any
commands which GSview reports as eps-illegal.

David Wilson

HELP ! I can't insert pictures

Post by Martin Silenu » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > Yes I can open my figure in GhostView !

> > I really don't understand.

> > david.

> I got similar error messages when trying to include an EPS-file that
> was not valid, so I thought this might be your problem to.

> In my case, the EPS-file did not start with %!PS, but with some
> control characters. You may of course have a totally different error.

> (As a reminder: It is customary to reply _below_ the text you are
> replying to.)

> Asbj.S.

> --

> NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Acoustics group
> Public PGP-key: <URL: http://www.tele.ntnu.no/users/saeboe/pgp/pgp.html>

It wasn't this problem, but a problem of not valid placeable .ps file
(only a printable file).

1. How to insert PS pictures 'between columns' ?

Hi,

first of all, let me say that you are my very last hope !!!

I encountered a very difficult problem when creating a two-column LaTeX
document. I have PostScript (*.eps) pictures tu include and use EPSF to
do this. This works very nice and includes the pictures within one column

This looks like this :

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | -------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | |   Picture       |
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | |                 |
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | |                 |
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | -------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      .                    .
      .                    .
      .                    .

xxx - floating text

Okay, but that's not exactly what I wanted to do ....
My problem is that I need to include the picture 'between' the columns (like
seen in newspapers or the like). I want to place the picture in the middle
of the page and let LaTeX (or TeX) create the text around it (still two-column).

This should look like this :

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx ------------------- xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx |    Picture      | xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx |                 | xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx |                 | xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx ------------------- xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I already know that this is impossible within LaTeX, but my hope is
that there does a TeX package exist which realizes what I want to do.
If there isn't a package out there which does this, could some guru
which is reading this please try to help me out.

Please let me explain that any experiences I have have been made with LaTeX
so I will NOT be able to write my own TeX macro... !!!

I've already seen (La)TeX documents in which this has been realized, but
I don't have any sources nor do I know who created these documents.
I already enervated my local LaTeX gurus about it, so YOU are my only
hope !!!

Please respond via the net AND send me copies of your replies via email

please HELP

CU
Oliver Rosenkranz

2. SUMMARY: VMS Fortran IO Question

3. Automatically inserting \, between `` and `, and ' and ''

4. Taskbar Buttons Gone!! Help..........

5. Problems with inserting pictures. (Please help.)

6. testing TIN on DFN

7. Inserting ``headings'' into the bibliography

8. two ipaq questions

9. picture 'crop' in latex?

10. Figure'ing and Picture'ing

11. HELP!: '[' on one line and ']' on another?

12. How to insert a ps picture?

13. How do I insert a picture into a letter?