Name on the output file

Name on the output file

Post by Hans Georg Schaath » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00



Is it possible in TeX (or LaTeX) to define the name of the DVI-file
explicitely ?  

I run some interactive*programmes, as well as some runs
with only a few commands given as a command line parameter;
and I dislike that all runs write to the same files (texput.dvi).

Any ideas are apreciated. TIA

--
:-- Hans Georg           --- student of 'Life, the Universe and Everything'

  '...the bird of freedom had very little patience with indecision,
  and when it flew away, it never returned...'             Carlos Castaneda

 
 
 

Name on the output file

Post by Donald Arsene » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>Is it possible in TeX (or LaTeX) to define the name of the DVI-file
>explicitely ?  

Not really.

But if your operating system has a "null device" then you can
do (for example, on VMS)

Quote:> tex nl:test

This is TeX, Version 1.414...
(NL:[]TEST.TEX;)
*Test interactive input
*\bye
[1]
Output written on TMP0:[ASND]TEST.DVI;2 (1 page, 240 bytes).
Transcript written on TMP0:[ASND]TEST.LIS;2.

(By the way, there is no such file as NL:[]TEST.TEX;)



 
 
 

Name on the output file

Post by Daniel Luecki » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00




>>Is it possible in TeX (or LaTeX) to define the name of the DVI-file
>>explicitely ?  
>Not really.
>But if your operating system has a "null device" then you can
>do (for example, on VMS)
>> tex nl:test
>This is TeX, Version 1.414...
>(NL:[]TEST.TEX;)
>*Test interactive input
>*\bye
>[1]
>Output written on TMP0:[ASND]TEST.DVI;2 (1 page, 240 bytes).
>Transcript written on TMP0:[ASND]TEST.LIS;2.
>(By the way, there is no such file as NL:[]TEST.TEX;)

This could be done in any system by running tex on an empty file. The
disadvantage in most systems (and apparently also in the example quoted
above) is that it skips the ** prompt for loading a format.

--
Dan Luecking                           Dept. of Mathematical Sciences    

http://comp.uark.edu/~luecking/        Fayetteville, AR 72101

 
 
 

Name on the output file

Post by Donald Arsene » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00



>>> tex nl:test
>>(By the way, there is no such file as NL:[]TEST.TEX;)

>This could be done in any system by running tex on an empty file.

Yes, but you must create the empty file with the desired name.
The advantage of the null file is that it never needs to be
swept up.


 
 
 

Name on the output file

Post by Hans Georg Schaath » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00


On 24 Apr 1998 17:05:37 GMT, Daniel Luecking
: This could be done in any system by running tex on an empty file. The
: disadvantage in most systems (and apparently also in the example quoted
: above) is that it skips the ** prompt for loading a format.

Yes, but if I have to create an empty file, I can just as well put
the commands in that file.  Using make(1) that's not to much of
a problem, except for running*interactively;  it is just
annoying.

--
:-- Hans Georg           --- student of 'Life, the Universe and Everything'

  '...the bird of freedom had very little patience with indecision,
  and when it flew away, it never returned...'             Carlos Castaneda

 
 
 

Name on the output file

Post by Daniel Luecki » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00



>On 24 Apr 1998 17:05:37 GMT, Daniel Luecking

>: This could be done in any system by running tex on an empty file. The
>: disadvantage in most systems (and apparently also in the example quoted
>: above) is that it skips the ** prompt for loading a format.
>Yes, but if I have to create an empty file, I can just as well put
>the commands in that file.  Using make(1) that's not to much of
>a problem, except for running*interactively;  it is just
>annoying.

I don't understand this complaint. Didn't you say you _wanted_ to run
TeX interactively?

I already run all my TeX from scripts that set up various required
options and variables. If I wanted to run it interactively, with control
over the output name, I'd just write a script (or define an alias) that
said the following (this is in DOS):

:: Use your favorite shell command to create an empty file:
rem > %1.tex
tex %1
del %1.tex

What could be easier? There's no need to ask TeX to do everything.

--
Dan Luecking                           Dept. of Mathematical Sciences    

http://www.veryComputer.com/~luecking/        Fayetteville, AR 72101

 
 
 

1. change output file names in latex

Is there any way to change the name of all the latex output files from
document preamble?  Or at least some of them,  but definitely the .dvi
file?  (I understand that you cannot really change the name of .log file
after you start writing it).

I tried to \def\jobname{blabla}, but it changed only .aux file name.

Thanks!
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek

www: http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~lahvak/  is back!

2. How Do I Write Software for the Palm?

3. shuffling names on a line to separate output lines in auxiliary file?

4. Can't verify e-mail address

5. Want a bibtex style file which prints Last Name, First Name

6. Dimensioning an Isometric drawing ??

7. changing pdflatex's output file or getting pdf output stream

8. New Ukrainian Freemail - 20Mb!

9. bibTeX: first name + last name + von + last name

10. \string for outputting macro names

11. dvips: specifying output names, piping to distill

12. Backslashes for file names in .aux file

13. can I refer to a named theorem by its name?