Create a Drawing Tool or Create Drawing Macros?

Create a Drawing Tool or Create Drawing Macros?

Post by taas.. » Tue, 06 May 2003 22:06:29

Hi All,

I'm considering using literate programming to develop my next
embedded, real-time project.  One of the advantages that I see is
being able to include the statecharts (state machine diagrams)
directly in the*source code.

My question: would it be ``better'' to create a simple statechart
drawing tool that reads/writes*diagrams, or to create a set of
*macros for specifying the statecharts directly?

I would really prefer *not* to save the statecharts as external binary
files due to the difficulties with revision control of binary files.

I know that a simple statechart drawing tool that can read/write*
directly out-of/in-to my nuweb source file is within my capabilities
as a software developer.  And that was my first idea for a solution.
But then I saw the xypic package and was astounded by what could be
done with TeX graphics macros.  And then I wondered if I could develop
a set of macros that would allow me to specify statecharts directly in
the*that would be readable and maintainable.

So what are your opinions?  Would a ``statechart'' package be
feasible?  Or is it better to stick with what I already know on this
one?

Thank you,

Tad Ashlock

Create a Drawing Tool or Create Drawing Macros?

Post by Gauti » Wed, 07 May 2003 13:34:56

You can combine your macros and simple*{picture}s using TeXCAD
4(-epsilon). No special format, it reads and writes*pictures.
->  http://www.veryComputer.com/
HTH
Gautier  --  http://www.veryComputer.com/