empty

Post by Kasper B. Graverse » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Sometimes when I write math stuff I refer to a sum of nothing. The
character for that sum is \O - an O with a slash in it. But*
complains about me using \O, what is the "official" keyword for the
empty sum? (I really don't know the english word, so I'm using the word
"sum" -- sorry but I hope you understand anyway)

--

Mvh. Kasper

empty

Post by Michael Coh » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Sometimes when I write math stuff I refer to a sum of nothing. The
: character for that sum is \O - an O with a slash in it. But*
: complains about me using \O, what is the "official" keyword for the
: empty sum? (I really don't know the english word, so I'm using the word
: "sum" -- sorry but I hope you understand anyway)
:

It's called the empty set.  Use \emptyset

--
Michael P. Cohen                       home phone   202-232-4651
1615 Q Street NW #T-1                  office phone 202-219-1917

empty

Post by David Carlisl » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Perhaps you want \emptyset. The one in the standard fonts looks a bit
squashed, so you may prefer the one in the AMS fonts, which is
\varnothing if you use the amssymb package.

David

empty

Post by Mark Woodi » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Sometimes when I write math stuff I refer to a sum of nothing. The
> character for that sum is \O - an O with a slash in it. But*
> complains about me using \O, what is the "official" keyword for the
> empty sum? (I really don't know the english word, so I'm using the word
> "sum" -- sorry but I hope you understand anyway)

\emptyset?
--
[mdw]

`When our backs are against the wall, we shall turn and fight.'
                -- John Major

empty

Post by Kasper B. Graverse » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Perhaps you want \emptyset. The one in the standard fonts looks a bit
> squashed, so you may prefer the one in the AMS fonts, which is
> \varnothing if you use the amssymb package.

Thx! This is what I needed.. I'm installing AMSTeX (hopfully) today..
yesterday I only got some of the AMS package :(

--

Mvh. Kasper

1. pagestyle{empty} != ps@empty

 Sorry if this is a well known problem but the answer isn't well known
here. :-(

 In a report style document \pagestyle{empty} doesn't have the claimed
effect (null header and footer).  The effect can be created with a

loss of the plain pagestyle.

 Is this a known bug?

This is TeX, C Version 3.14t3

Cheers,

        Ian

--

School of Computer Science
Univ. of Birmingham, UK, B15 2TT

2. Object-file formats

3. empty page

4. Probleme mit BTX-├╝berweisungen

5. Empty caption in figure

6. KERMIT answer back to Enq (ASCII 5)

7. Empty space with a character's width?

8. Using components between projects

9. stray empty line in new environment that contains enum-env

10. Why there are ugly empty spaces between headers and paragraphs?

11. empty page style still shows number on page 1

12. slides with empty pages

13. Defining layout on empty pages??