ConTeXt: how to use \setupitemize ?

Post by Gary Paje » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:09:22

I'm slowly learning ConTeXt.
\setupitemize doesn't work the way I expect it to.  In fact, it doesn't seem
to do anything at all.
Here's what I tried.  Suppose I want to add some space in the second level
of an itemization.
Here's an entire file:
-------------------------------
\starttext
%
\setupitemize[2][width=15em]
\startitemize
%
\item Level One
%
\startitemize
\item first
\item second
\item third
\stopitemize
%
\stopitemize
%
\stoptext
----------------------------------
No dice.  It itemizes alright, but no extra space.
If I eliminate the \setupitemize and replace the second \startitemize with
\startitemize[width=15em]
I get my extra space.  But of course, I want to set the format globally at
the beginning.
I'm using an up-to-date MiKTeX distribution on Win98.
Any idea what's happening here?

Regards,
Gary

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:56:07

> I'm slowly learning ConTeXt.
> \setupitemize doesn't work the way I expect it to.  In fact, it doesn't seem
> to do anything at all.

Yes, this has been fixed very recently, IIRC (and your example works
correctly here, givin a lot of h space before the text of the
itemizations).

You should get the latest ConTeXt from the PRAGMA site (or wait for
Christian to update the MiKTeX package ...)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "My daddy will buy it for me")

Post by Gary Paje » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:02:08

> > I'm slowly learning ConTeXt.
> > \setupitemize doesn't work the way I expect it to.  In fact, it doesn't
seem
> > to do anything at all.

> Yes, this has been fixed very recently, IIRC (and your example works
> correctly here, givin a lot of h space before the text of the
> itemizations).

> You should get the latest ConTeXt from the PRAGMA site (or wait for
> Christian to update the MiKTeX package ...)

> --
> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Thanks.  I was ready to wait for Christian to catch up when I decided to
check my version.
I have a date of ver: 2003.1.31 fmt:  2003.2.15
The pragma website is advertising  2003.1.31.13.37

I'm wondering if I already have the latest.
What version do you have that runs my file correctly?

THanks,
Gary

Post by Guy Worthingto » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:45:43

>> [\setupitemize] has been fixed very recently, IIRC (and your
>> example works correctly here)
> I'm wondering if I already have the latest --
>     ver: 2003.1.31 fmt:  2003.2.15
> What version do you have that runs my file correctly?

When Giuseppe writes very recently, he means very recently, you have
to run a Beta version of ConTeXt.  The latest Beta is

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.2.11  fmt: 2003.2.19  int: english  mes: english

This version has some minor issues with metapost:

  http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg10444.html

but apart from that is stable.

Post by Gary Paje » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:33:52

> >> [\setupitemize] has been fixed very recently, IIRC (and your
> >> example works correctly here)

> > I'm wondering if I already have the latest --
> >     ver: 2003.1.31 fmt:  2003.2.15
> > What version do you have that runs my file correctly?

> When Giuseppe writes very recently, he means very recently, you have
> to run a Beta version of ConTeXt.  The latest Beta is

Message received.  Thanks.  I'm busy with other work, so I won't be
upgrading immediately.  If I have problems when I do, I'll write back.

Regards,
Gary

Quote:

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:59:22

> Thanks.  I was ready to wait for Christian to catch up when I decided to
> check my version.
> I have a date of ver: 2003.1.31 fmt:  2003.2.15
> The pragma website is advertising  2003.1.31.13.37

> I'm wondering if I already have the latest.

You have the latest "stable". I personally use the beta version,
which despite its name is very stable (and even when not, it gets
updated quite often so problems get fixed very soon).

Beware when upgrading: ConTeXt has recently changed the MetaFun
structure, so you might need to (manually) delete the previous
MetaFun files before installing the new ones (a new subdirectory
/base was added under texmf/metapost/context, and all MetaFun files
have been moved there.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "My daddy will buy it for me")

ConTeXt: how to use \setupitemize ?

Post by Dan Lueckin » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 02:56:12

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:59:22 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta

>Beware when upgrading: ConTeXt has recently changed the MetaFun
>structure, so you might need to (manually) delete the previous
>MetaFun files before installing the new ones (a new subdirectory
>/base was added under texmf/metapost/context, and all MetaFun files
>have been moved there.)

My experience with updating to context betas is that you can't go
wrong if you remove _everything_ before _every_ upgrade (except
private configuration files which you should keep in a separate texmf
tree and even those might need to be re-edited).

Dan

--
Dan Luecking                     Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas           Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 04:10:48

> My experience with updating to context betas is that you can't go
> wrong if you remove _everything_ before _every_ upgrade (except
> private configuration files which you should keep in a separate texmf
> tree and even those might need to be re-edited).

Well, one could say that's not exactly like "updating" but rather
reinstalling from scratch :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "My daddy will buy it for me")

ConTeXt: how to use \setupitemize ?

Post by Gary Paje » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:35:30

Quote:> > >> [\setupitemize] has been fixed very recently, IIRC (and your

> > > I'm wondering if I already have the latest --
> > >     ver: 2003.1.31 fmt:  2003.2.15
> > > What version do you have that runs my file correctly?

> > When Giuseppe writes very recently, he means very recently, you have
> > to run a Beta version of ConTeXt.  The latest Beta is

> Message received.  Thanks.  I'm busy with other work, so I won't be
> upgrading immediately.  If I have problems when I do, I'll write back.

Done.  Works perfectly.  Thanks to all,
Gary

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:45:08

> Done.  Works perfectly.  Thanks to all,

Good to know, you're welcome, and whenever you want :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "My daddy will buy it for me")

1. ConTeXt: columns with \setupitemize ?

In ConTeXt, is appers that one can't include the "columns" keyword with
\setupitemize.
i.e.,  \setupitemize[2][columns]  doesn't produce columns.  This seems to be
a feature, as the manual doesn't include "column" it the list of keywords
for \setupitemize.   (short example follows)  Is there some rationale behind
this?

I'm creating multiple-choice quizzes, and I'd like to be able to set the
format up front:  decide that on this quiz I'll use one column, on the next
I'll use two.  Can this be done some other way?

I could define a macro:
\define\mystartitemize{\startitemize[columns]}   (for example)

but it seems like an odd way to do it.

Regards,
Gary
----------------------------------
\starttext
%
\setupitemize[2][columns]
\setupitemize[1][symbol=n]
\startitemize
%
\item Level One
%
\startitemize
\item first
\item second
\item third
\stopitemize
%
\stopitemize
%
\stoptext

2. lexmark z51 USB cable???

3. command that behaves different in a math context (vs. text context)

4. WANTED: Sendmail Consultant

5. Using context as PDF file manipulator

6. ***Buy/Sell Dcom and Lan/Wan Equip.***

7. Metapost calling TeX (with ConTeXt)

8. Getting the Server Time

9. Justification in ConTeXt & LaTeX

10. Installing ConTeXt on MikTeX: poolsize error

11. ConTeXt

12. ConTeXt and forms -- geting started?

13. ConTeXt Mailing List