Dvicopy problems

Post by Young Ry » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have several problems using dvicopy (v1.2/DOS-TP1.2).

> I use t1 encoded adobe fonts installed with
> fontinst (v1.504). In order to avoid memory
> problems with dviscr(32), and to be able to use
> dviwin (v2.9/16) I devirtualize the dvi files with
> dvicopy.

> The first problem is that dvicopy complains
> very quickly about "capacity exceeded", it
> appears not to be able to handle too many
> virtual fonts.

Get dvicopy of gTeX distribution (which is in texmfutl.zip),
which I believe I enlarged:

        maximum number of distinct fonts = 300
        maximum number of different characters among all fonts = 40000
        maximum number of different characters widths = 8000
        maximum packets=10000
        maximum bytes=80000

Quote:> The second problems is that when dvicopy does its
> job, dviwin compains about: "Floating Point: Square
> Root of Negative Number". Other dvi drivers have
> no problems with these devirtualized dvi files
> (though it is not recommended to dvips these
> dvi files, it affects the letterspacing).

> Does anybody have any idea if and how these
> problems can be resolved?

This was a known problem, which the dviwin author
fixed laterly. Get the dviwin binaries in gTeX distribution,
which do not have this problem.

Young

 __  __   ______   ______
/\ \/\ \ /\__  _\ /\  __ \    Young U. Ryu, Ph.D.    Box 830688, JO 4.4
\ \ \_\ \\/_/\ \/ \ \ \_\ \   Asst. Prof. Info. Sys. 2061 N. Floyd Rd.
 \ \_____\  \ \_\  \ \_____\  FAX:   972-883-2799    Richardson
  \/_____/   \/_/   \/_____/  Voice: 972-883-????    Texas 75083-0688

School of Management          http://www.utdallas.edu/~ryoung/
Decision Sciences Dept.       ftp://pc29112.utdallas.edu

Dvicopy problems

Post by Cicero SE&P » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have several problems using dvicopy (v1.2/DOS-TP1.2).

I use t1 encoded adobe fonts installed with
fontinst (v1.504). In order to avoid memory
problems with dviscr(32), and to be able to use
dviwin (v2.9/16) I devirtualize the dvi files with
dvicopy.

The first problem is that dvicopy complains
very quickly about "capacity exceeded", it
appears not to be able to handle too many
virtual fonts.

The second problems is that when dvicopy does its
job, dviwin compains about: "Floating Point: Square
Root of Negative Number". Other dvi drivers have
no problems with these devirtualized dvi files
(though it is not recommended to dvips these
dvi files, it affects the letterspacing).

Does anybody have any idea if and how these
problems can be resolved?

Thanx in advance, Meindert van der Bijl

Cicero Scientific Editing & Publishing Service
Ramen 31 A
1621 EK Hoorn
The Netherlands

Dvicopy problems

Post by Berthold K.P. Ho » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

   I have several problems using dvicopy (v1.2/DOS-TP1.2).

   I use t1 encoded adobe fonts installed with
   fontinst (v1.504). In order to avoid memory
   problems with dviscr(32), and to be able to use
   dviwin (v2.9/16) I devirtualize the dvi files with dvicopy.

   The first problem is that dvicopy complains
   very quickly about "capacity exceeded", it
   appears not to be able to handle too many
   virtual fonts.

   The second problems is that when dvicopy does its
   job, dviwin compains about: "Floating Point: Square
   Root of Negative Number". Other dvi drivers have
   no problems with these devirtualized dvi files
   (though it is not recommended to dvips these
   dvi files, it affects the letterspacing).

DVICOPY produces somewhat unusual DVI code, including `rules'
with very large negative depth or width.  Because of the negative
size they are not drawn, but the large negative numbers
may confuse some DVI viewers.

   Does anybody have any idea if and how these
   problems can be resolved?

You could switch to a viewer that can reencode the fonts `on the fly'
thereby avoiding the need to use DVICOPY.

   Thanx in advance, Meindert van der Bijl

   Cicero Scientific Editing & Publishing Service
   Ramen 31 A
   1621 EK Hoorn
   The Netherlands

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

1. Problem with dvicopy

Hi,

I am trying to get my DVI previewers (dviwin and dviscr) to work with
Postscript fonts. Generating and installing PK fonts from the Poscript
fonts with PS2PK worked OK. Next, I run DVICOPY on a DVI file to cache
out the virtual fonts: DVICOPY also seems to work, detecting all
virtual fonts, producing a nice list of mappings,  and giving no error
messages. However, when I run DVISCR, it crashes with the error
message: "Fatal error: character out of range 178". DVIWIN is worse,
as it totally crashes Windows95. My Latex installation is standard
Emtex2e. It looks like a problem with 8-bit Postscript fonts, but does
anaybody know a solution???

Ton van Leeuwen

2. Token Ring Connection

3. dvicopy confused by page numbers restarting at 1

4. Direct Disk problem: "Internal Error", drives unavailable

5. DVIcopy capacity exceeded

6. Good backup or compression program

7. atari Mega ST2 and dvicopy

8. approved sites in Internet Explorer

9. No dvicopy manpage in my TeTeX

10. Virtual fonts, dvicopy, and previewers

11. Looking for `dvicopy' on-line manual.

12. Where is dvicopy?

13. dvicopy bug