replacing math font in latex?

Post by Glenn_P._Forney_x23 » Wed, 10 Mar 1993 05:28:31

suppose that i have a font named vmtmr which
i wish to use as a math font, ie to replace cmmi .
how do i use it in latex?  i used the following
commands, but they did not have the desired effect.

\font\teni=vmtmr10 \skewchar\teni="7F
\font\seveni=vmtmr7 \skewchar\seveni="7F
\font\fivei=vmtmr5 \skewchar\fivei="7F
\textfont1=\teni
\scriptfont1=\seveni
\scriptscriptfont1=\fivei

note, vmtmr is a virtual font which i constructed from
other postscript fonts using the command vptovf.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
glenn forney

Post by Christopher Brow » Wed, 10 Mar 1993 07:50:20

>suppose that i have a font named vmtmr which
>i wish to use as a math font, ie to replace cmmi .
>how do i use it in latex?  i used the following
>commands, but they did not have the desired effect.

>\font\teni=vmtmr10 \skewchar\teni="7F
>\font\seveni=vmtmr7 \skewchar\seveni="7F
>\font\fivei=vmtmr5 \skewchar\fivei="7F
>\textfont1=\teni
>\scriptfont1=\seveni
>\scriptscriptfont1=\fivei

>note, vmtmr is a virtual font which i constructed from
>other postscript fonts using the command vptovf.
>any help will be greatly appreciated.

You want to set up NFSS, which would allow you to use the command
\newmathalphabet{} to change the math font to whatever you prefer.

It may well be possible using the "Old" Font Selection System, but
probably requires a lot of "rewiring" of LPLAIN.TEX/LFONTS.TEX to
make it work.  Better to look up NFSS, and be able to systematically
select fonts, rather than having to hack them in.

Alternatively, you could rename the font files so that cmmi would
refer to your vmtmr font.  Other people at your site might not like
that very much, though.

--
Christopher Browne                |     PGP 2.0 key available

University of Ottawa              | Genius may have its limitations, but
Master of System Science Program  | stupidity is not thus handicapped.

1. replacing AMS fonts with Adobe Math-Pi fonts

Hi TeXperts,

My question regards to the replacement of the AMS fonts (metafont
version) with the Adobe Mathematical-Pi fonts in Type-1 format. Both
fonts have a lot in common, e.g., script, black-bold, frak and math
symbols, but the Adobe version is better designed in some way.

I wonder if anyone has attempted to write a style package for
replacing the amslatex's amssymb.sty and amsfonts.sty but using the
similar symbol definitions. Any comments?

Phone : +46 13 281727    (O)   |
        +46 13 260183    (H)   |  Linkoping Institute of Technology
Fax   : +46 13 137568          |  IFM
http://www.ifm.liu.se          |  S-581 83 Linkoping
Telex: 812 6154361 SICS        |  SWEDEN
Teletex: 2401-812 6154361=SICS |

2. tracking non-cash charitable donations

3. Replace pk-fonts by Type1-fonts

4. netscape w/warp 3.0

5. Changing font/font size in math mode of TeX and LaTeX.

6. CPU homepage of Fokke Post

7. Math font while using PS font in LaTex

8. base class library source code

9. AMS-LaTeX 1.2, PS AMSFonts, and psamsfonts.ins

10. LaTeX plug-ins for EmEditor?

11. problems replacing CM with a standard postscript font ...

12. dc fonts 1.2 -> Replace corrupted mf file in ftp.shsu.edu

13. Free way to replace pk fonts with PostScript or TrueType alternatives?