Using ZapfDingBats Font

Post by Francis M. B » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to use this ZapfDingBats font with*by following the
instructions found in the "LaTeX Companion" on page 335. With the
following code:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{dinglist}{228}
\item The first item in the list
\item Second
\item Third
\end{dinglist}
\end{document}

I got:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (C version 6.1)
(zap.tex
LaTeX2e <1996/06/01>
Hyphenation patterns for english, german, loaded.
(/usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 1996/05/26 v1.3r Standard*document class
(/usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (zap.aux)

!*Error: Environment dinglist undefined.

See the*manual or*Companion for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.5 \begin{dinglist}
                    {228}
?

Since the error message was "dinglist undefined", does this mean I have to
define "dinglist" somewhere. "LaTeX Companion" is not very explicit about
this.

While I'm on the same topic, how do I know if I have this ZapfDingbats
font installed on my system? FYI, I'm using teTeX 0.3.4 as provided by
RedHat Linux 4.0.  And in case I need to install this font, where do I get
this font (assuming that it's free :-) and how do I install it?

Thanking you all in advance :-)

--Francis Bui

           WWW: http://www.veryComputer.com/~fmbui

Using ZapfDingBats Font

Post by Hans Martin Rit » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I'm trying to use this ZapfDingBats font with*by following the
> instructions found in the "LaTeX Companion" on page 335. With the
> following code:

> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{dinglist}{228}
> \item The first item in the list
> \item Second
> \item Third
> \end{dinglist}
> \end{document}

You have to use the PIFONT package. This is part of the psnfss
package. You'll find it on CTAN macros/latex/packages/psnfss.
You know this package can only be used with Postscript.

Martin

Using ZapfDingBats Font

Post by Berthold K.P. Ho » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

   While I'm on the same topic, how do I know if I have this ZapfDingbats
   font installed on my system? FYI, I'm using teTeX 0.3.4 as provided by
   RedHat Linux 4.0.  And in case I need to install this font, where do I get
   this font (assuming that it's free :-) and how do I install it?

Zapf Dingbats is resident on most PS printers.

It is not free.  You paid (some tiny amount) when you bought the printer.
It was designed by Hermann Zapf and is licensed by a type foundry
who deserve to be compensated for their efforts.
You can get this font from Adobe.
It is packages with various pieces of software
(some versions of ATM, some versions of Acrobat),
and also in a package containing all of the standard 35 printer
resident fonts (Adobe Type Basics or Adobe Plus pack, I forget which).
This is assuming you want to be able to preview with this font,
not just print...

   Thanking you all in advance :-)

   --Francis Bui

              WWW: http://www.freenet.calgary.ab.ca/~fmbui

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Using ZapfDingBats Font

Post by Frank Mittelbac » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> As Martin remarked a package was missing after lifting the example code
> from the book. This is a common problem people run into and for the
> second edition of the*Companion we will surely think of a way to
> make it easier to see what code needs adding in the preamble.

perhaps i would have better said "...for *a* second edition ..."
as i was asked: we do not plan a second edition anytime soon, ie not
in 1997 as far as i can see and further down i'm unable to plan anyway.

there will be however a*Graphics Companion early next year covering
orthogonal issues not discussed in the*Companion

frank

1. How to use ZapfDingbats font in TeX

My printer supports the ZapfDingbats font and I'd like to use it in TeX. I have
dvips and the proper .tfm file but not the .sty file (I usually use psfonts.sty
and ncs.sty to get NewCenturySchlbk, for example). How would I include and
reference it in TeX? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Lim

2. Rebooting & PCM as a service

3. ZapfDingBats Fonts?

4. Laserwriter 8.7 Print File Yields Blank Page? Why?!?!

5. gsftopk fail on ZapfDingbats!

6. Can't Import Messages in OE 6.0

7. weird ZapfDingbats problem (pifont.sty)

8. Number of cylinders?

9. Q: for font gurus: how do I ensure times fonts are used in maths?

10. Printing using PS fonts, not PK fonts

11. font size beyond 25pt for PS fonts using NFSS

12. simulating another font using other fonts

13. Using TeX fonts as HP soft fonts