brackets (size)

Post by Cliff Stam » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

How can I control the size of brackets

for example if I wanted ( \frac{1}{3} ) with the brackets the full size
of the expression vertically.

--
 Cliff Stamp

brackets (size)

Post by Karsten Tinnefel » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> for example if I wanted ( \frac{1}{3} ) with the brackets the full size
> of the expression vertically.

use \left( and \right) in one expression, TeX checks for matching. You
may nest, but do not split into multiple lines.

Substitute ( and ) with various delimiters, as you like it.

If you want to have delimiters "somewhat bigger", but full size is too
big for you, look at amslatex's \big{lr}---\Bigg{lr} macros.
--

\bye, Karsten.

Computer Science Dept.    Informatik Rechnerbetriebsgruppe
University of Dortmund    D-44221 Dortmund / Germany
Phone +49 231 755 4700    PGP Key available via finger

,,All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy;
  for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must
  die to one life before we can enter another.``  Anatole France

brackets (size)

Post by Axel Reicher » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I wanted ( \frac{1}{3} ) with the brackets the full size of the
> expression vertically.

\left( ... \right)

Happy TeXing!

--
Axel Reichert -- http://mt.mpie-duesseldorf.mpg.de/people/reich/

1. Semantic brackets (hollow square brackets)

Can anyone tell me how to put semantic brackets in Latex2e?
They are used in denotational semantics, and also in Z to denote
bags (I think).  They are basically hollow square brackets.
I can't find them in AMS and I don't have Fuzz.

Thanks

Simon.

2. Microsoft Exchange - Branchburg, NJ-6+months

3. Sizing of bracket symbols

4. comp.dcom.lans.token-ring FAQ

5. HELP with (size adjustable) bold brackets

6. Quattro for Windows

7. manual size control of bracket

8. Same size brackets with split equations?

9. figure caption size (width and font size)

10. Changing size of integral size

11. Can I have font size bigger than size 10 now?

12. tex size exceeded, was figure text size